Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a hole in concrete paver?

Morrisonvj
Finding My Feet

How to fill a hole in concrete paver?

I have replaced a pool fence with frameless glass. The aluminium post has been cut and grounded but there is still an unsightly 'hole' remaining in the concrete pavers. What would be best to fill in the hole, noting in needs to grip to both concrete paver & aluminium?

pool hole.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a hole in concrete paver?

Hello @Morrisonvj

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling a hole in your concrete paver. 

Normally I would recommend a mortar mix to fill the hole in the paver. However, cement and aluminium don't mix well together. I'll need to investigate this matter further before I make a suggestion on how to proceed. I'll be calling our supplier tomorrow and get back to you when I have more information.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. I will await your response.

I was even thinking along the lines of a resin or epoxy. Just something to protect little, bare feet.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Morrisonvj

Thank you so much for your patience. I've been in contact with our supplier and they said you can use Crommelin 1L Exterior Grade Brushable Waterproofer on your aluminium post. They suggested putting on several thick coats and to make sure that all open aluminium surfaces be covered very well. Please make sure to give the coating enough time to cure properly before applying more coats. I suggest a minimum of three coats to make sure the coverage is very thick.

Once the waterproofing is totally dry, I recommend using Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix. I suggest using a Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel to get a nice flat surface. I propose doing it early in the morning and covering the repair spot with a cardboard box to prevent accelerated drying which will crack the patch if it dries too fast.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric.

I will give this a try.

Hi @Morrisonvj  

As  you follow Erics good advice I would ask you to consider raising the cement mixed up out of the hole by  1mm  to 2mm or so. But only do this if you think you have the skills.

I have recently being in polishing  some marble I bought and the facts are a simple orbital sander can polish the cement and sand rocks down in smaller areas like yours with out too much trouble giving a possible similar finish to your polish concrete surrounds if you wish this.

Polishing is  what they did to create your polished cement path a hand sander is just a small  version of the same  process. In  fact they would have to use small sanders in against the walls and fiddly areas.  Start with 90 grade  go to 240 in steps  general purpose sand paper dry  and work up to  800 and 1200 wet and dry sand  paper for  super shiny  finish spritz  concrete with water while grinding. Do not saturate area as  water in your sander will short it out.

I am prepairing to  lay a 8 meter  square marble floor and will be hand  machine sanding it soon. I have polished a couple of test walls to good success.

Thanks for the great advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects