Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose barn style outdoor area?

amateur63
Finding My Feet

How to enclose barn style outdoor area?

Hi everyone 

We have this outdoor area that seems to be an old stable or something similar. We would like to convert it into a garage/shed for storage as it will allow us to demolish another besser brick storage that currently takes up a big chunk of the backyard. 

All we really need to do is enclose it in a cosmetically appealing and functional way :smile:

First and second photos are our place. Third is the inspiration

08DF1A35-76A0-4411-B897-23A15822C83D.jpeg

4A60AD43-BD47-4DB4-A577-BBEF1D01E500.jpeg

37B3C541-B43C-4631-BF4C-CBE7F945187C.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Adding doors to barn style outdoor area.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @amateur63. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about enclosing a structure.

It appears that enclosing this area should be a relatively straightforward project. You'll need to continue the existing wall framing around the structure so you have something to attach your new sheeting to. I'd suggest removing the old sheeting that's still present on one of the two walls. That way, the whole facade will match. Corner flashing will be needed to finish off the sheeting.

For the sliding door, you could either construct its frame out of timber or have someone fabricate it out of square steel tubing. I'd suggest you use exterior grade gate rollers and track to mount the door, as something as wide as your inspiration pics will be quite weighty.

Let me mention one of our experienced members, @DIYgals, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let us know if you have any questions that our helpful members can assist with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @amateur63 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc. Just to add some visual ideas for your barn cover, I've drawn up some examples of how it might look with the corrugated sheets and with a barn door. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know,

Eric

amateur63 storage1.jpgamateur63 storage2.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to enclose barn style outdoor area?

Hi @amateur63,

Great to see you have received helpful assistance from Mitch and Eric. 

I just wanted to add my welcome to the community and say how much I am looking forward to seeing your transform the barn. It looks like it has amazing potential. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with anything in the home or garden. 

Jason

Thanks Eric. This first picture is actually exactly what I had in mind! Only difference being that I will need an access point to get out the items/gardening materials (mower etc) stored in the barn. That is what I thought the sliding door could be useful for.

That said, I am looking for the most cost effective option and so am open to thoughts.

@MitchellMc  I love the visual that you have provided too. are you suggesting to use timber for the red lines, and to use a piece of timber across the middle and bottom to tech screw the sheet into (green lines)?

I think that part is relatively straight forward. I like the suggestion of removing the existing sheet too. The challenge for me will be putting the door together.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @amateur63

I suggest building the door frame out of timber so that it will be easy to mount fittings on it. It can still be painted black to match the black corrugated sheets that you plan on installing. Just keep in mind that the timber you are looking for must be at least H3-treated so that it can withstand harsh weather and insect attack.  

Your analysis of @MitchellsMc's drawing is correct, but the green lines I suspect represent the outline of the galvanized sheets. Would it be possible for you to post the dimensions of the barn you are trying to cover? Our members can then assess its layout. We can then make recommendations on how to cover it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Yes, I am @amateur63, as that appears to be how the shed was initially created. The sheeting (green outline) is screwed to the three horizontal timber batons (red lines) and the roof beam. You can see where someone has cut the batons back and removed some sheets.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

The area to the right as you’re looking at it where the sliding door would probably be, is about 190h x 300cm wide. well, each of those front areas are the same dimensions roughly. 

Side part is roughly 5.5m wide x 2.9 h at higher point and 2m at lowest 

Hi @amateur63,

I've spent some time and put several renderings together for you, hopefully giving you a better understanding of what will be needed for your project. Have a look at them and let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects