Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Structural Pine for outdoor use?

eteractive
Just Starting Out

Structural Pine for outdoor use?

Hi, I have some structural pine available. Can I use it for outdoor use - build a plant stand? 

I heard some say I will need to treat it, what can I use to treat it? Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Structural Pine for outdoor use?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @eteractive. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using structural timber outdoors.

Typically you'll need H3-treated timber for exterior above-ground use, and for in-ground or on-ground use in moist areas, you'll need to use H4-treated timber. There is no treatment I am aware of that will turn internal structural-grade timber into something suitable for exterior use. You can coat the timber with exterior paint, extending its lifespan, but any water that finds its way to the timber will begin the decay process rather quickly.

This might be one of those cases where you should save the timber for some internal projects and purchase suitable timber that will ensure your project stands the test of time. If you're looking for a budget-friendly plant stand, I'd recommend this step-by-step guide on How to build a tiered plant stand. You could cut the cost even further by using sleepers for the shelves instead of the Cypress pickets.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects