Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert planter box into seating?

Mark74
Just Starting Out

How to convert planter box into seating?

I'm wanting to convert an old planter box, which has limestone retaining on the leading edge to a section of seating, using decking products. Should I make use of the existing fence posts as part of the structure or build around using separate footings. Lots of base rock in the ground so some area's could be challenging to place footings. Any ideas appreciated.

Overall length is about 4.5m and average width is about 1m.IMG_4881.jpgIMG_4879.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert planter box into seating?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mark74. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing seating.

Your fence should not solely support your seating, though it can be used as an attachment point. Whether you need to connect to it will likely be determined by the design of the seating you're going for. If you can provide our members with a sketch, that will help them suggest adequate ways to support your structure.

You can construct a frame and have the rear of it sit on pavers and adjustable pedestal feet; this is a fantastic way of achieving a stable frame over uneven terrain or where footings would be inconvenient.

If you can let me know what the seating would look like I'd be happy to create a rendering of a frame layout for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects