Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean mould-stained garden wall?

DIYer5
Getting Established

How to clean mould-stained garden wall?

652FDF38-8005-45D0-B248-5D45FCE8E453.jpeg

 Hi Team, what’s the best approach for removing the mould stains from our garden wall please. We’ve tried jet washing which helps to lighten them but doesn’t eradicate them completely. We thought about jet washing then painting, would we be able to match the colour and if so how would we go about it? We’ve also discussed camouflaging somehow? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks for any assistance. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean mould-stained garden wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DIYer5. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cleaning mould stains.

Those stains appear to be emanating from the gaps in the steel trim at the top. Is there anything up there that could be rusting and forming these stains? Perhaps there is leaf debris caught in the top that needs to be removed. It's best to address where the staining is coming from before contemplating painting the wall. However, painting does sound like the best solution, as I don't think you'll be able to remove those dark stains from the light-coloured wall.

To achieve a close match on the colour, I'd advise popping into your closest Bunnings store and picking up a variety of cream colour cards. You might even like to consider a colour change. Take the cards home and match them to your wall, selecting the closest one.

I recommend cleaning the wall thoroughly with Sugar Soap and flushing it down with fresh water. When completely dry, you can coat the wall with Dulux Weathershield.

You could try to disguise the stain with screening panels. Though I think a fresh coat of paint would be the best options and you could even add a few panels to add interest to the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYer5
Getting Established

Re: How to clean mould-stained garden wall?

Hi Mitchell, there stains are due to a black concrete type grout between the tiles. We’ve considered removing that which would be a major mission so thought to use a some kind of trim on the underside of the tiles which would hopefully put an end to the stains. Thanks for your suggestions, we’ll give it a go and yes adding some panels or similar to break the expanse is a great option thank you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects