Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Brutus 65mm x 65mm PVC angle moulding?

Ricka
Community Newcomer

How to install Brutus 65mm x 65mm PVC angle moulding?

I'm carrying out repairs (for my senior friend) on a fibro shed, one job being replacing/ installing new corner mouldings on the external vertical corners..

I/we have purchased the Brutus product, and noticed that the internal face* of the 65mm x 65mm moulding,  ( *which would be facing/ attached to the corner ) is less than 90 degrees.

Question #1: Should I press the moulding in towards the corner, so it sits flat/ flush to both surfaces and than secure with screws, or..........????

Question #2:  My proposed method of attaching the moulding was using galv. buttonhead screws, pre-drilled thru the moulding + fibro +into hardwood frame. Is this method OK ?. 

Question #3:  When using this PVC product outdoors, exposed to NSW Central Coast weather, should allowances be made for expansion and contraction, and what method would you suggest ?

Would very much appreciate whatever advice and assistance you can offer.

Awaiting your (hopefully) prompt reply, as I have to complete all the work this coming weekend, hampered by the current adverse weather and my 70+yr old attempts as a handyman/ helper.

Cheers, Ricka

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install Brutus 65mm x 65mm PVC angle moulding

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ricka. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing corner mouldings.

Since the internal face of the moulding isn't exactly 90 degrees, you’ll want to press it into the corner so it sits as flush as possible against both surfaces. Even if it doesn’t sit perfectly flat, securing it will help straighten it out, but be cautious not to over-tighten the screws, as this can cause the moulding to warp.

Your idea of using galvanised buttonhead screws is a solid approach, especially for drilling through the fibro and into the hardwood frame. Just be sure to pre-drill to avoid cracking the fibro, which can be brittle. 

As for the weather exposure, the moulding will expand and contract slightly with temperature changes. To allow for this, avoid fixing the moulding too tightly, and space the screws at intervals that give the material room to move slightly. Using flexible sealant along the edges can also help absorb any movement and keep water out.

Before starting any work on a fibro shed, be aware that older fibro products may contain asbestos, which can be hazardous if disturbed. It's essential to have the material tested by a professional and, if necessary, engage a licensed asbestos removalist to handle any potential risks safely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects