Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean and repair concrete?

r23on
Amassing an Audience

How to clean and repair concrete?

over the years dripping water and heavy rain has washed away the top layers of the concrete so resurfacing is not the answer just yet so my question is how do repair this with out cutting out this section which also is out of the question and what cleaning product would I use to clean?

AC512D3B-C25C-407C-A175-8670418AE317.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repair concrete

Hi @r23on,

If this is a drainage point that will continue to experience damage, then you might like to simply place a concrete paver over the area. That would neaten the appearance and prevent further damage. Alternatively, it would be relatively easy to use some repair mortar to screed over the top and restore the concrete finish. I suspect that if it's taken years for this damage to occur, then your repair would also last a considerable amount of time.

Were you looking for a cleaning product to remove the algae growth between the aggregate? If so, I'd recommend blasting it off with a high-pressure washer if you have one and/or using some 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Having been to the trade expo this week I saw this product...

Concremate 

There is also Multfill that comes in grey but for a large project being listed as 600G only it is more expensive than Concretemate in the larger sized packs if you need multiple packs. It is ready mix though.

You could clean it with Berger Jet Dry Active Clean if your worried about grease being present.

I would use some formwork on the side and use a fairly wet mix to allow self leveling. From the photo it looks like there is enough surface roughness to give a good grip, if it was smooth I would drill some holes at an angle to hold it in which is probably over engineering it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Neat product, isn't it, @Brad! I, too, spent a considerable amount of time at the Earl's stand checking out all their products. 

Mitchell

I tried Lanko 136 on a a shallow piece of chipped driveway - mixed results.

Would Concretemate have been a better choice?

20221001_131417.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The Concremate appears to be pretty good stuff, but it's hard to tell whether it would have performed better for your job, @Noyade. Are you driving over this edge in a car, or has it just fallen off? I would have imagined the 136 would have worked fine for this purpose unless it was bearing the weight of a car. For the Concremate to work here, you'd need to drill several holes at an angle into that edge for it to bite into.

Mitchell

Afternoon @MitchellMc 

Yes, a vehicle drives over this regularly and the left front tyre is usually turning on it as well. And yes, it's the edge that's the only problem. Thanks for the tips.  👍

It was chipped off by an Origin Energy cheery-picker vehicle/truck with the hydraulic stabilizing legs. When one leg retracted it caught the edge.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

It looks to have many uses @MitchellMc Adelaides day fell on a day I have a fixed afternoon job so I couldn't stay as long as I would of liked too.

@Noyade 85mpa for Concretemate is stronger than most concrete, for a driveway repair I would drill some holes to give it some extra staying power.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc 

We sold up and moved out of Vic and headed to the NT

The photo shows years of water continuing to flow from the air con outlet. Here in Darwin everything is run through the wall as the houses is built with block due to cyclones etc hence most houses are like a bomb shelter well constructed so with the amount of water eventually breaks down concrete.

As Brad has suggested i was thinking about. Thanks for your reply

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Brad 

thanks for the reply since moving here I have been flat out doing reno work and had hoped to been able to get this job down before the wet season sets in  but I think I have missed that window

I have considered the concretemate after checking out the web site. I will have to have a look at the and I will have to follow up on the cleaner. Have you used it before?

regards

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects