Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change outdoor furniture oil colour?

dmwilson
Just Starting Out

How to change outdoor furniture oil colour?

I’ve oiled 2 outdoor chairs with Cabot’s Garden Furniture Oil but don’t like the tawny colour result after just one coat and 2 weeks curing. Followed directions re cleaning. No colour described on Oil container.Would prefer a deeper jarrah type colour. Can I just apply a different coloured oil over existing coat or start from scratch? Thanks

D59DDEF9-459E-4F20-9B23-432EAAF9923C.jpeg

500AC411-669F-4167-BF93-DC57E08EFB28.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change outdoor furniture oil colour?

Hello @dmwilson 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about furniture oil.

I'm sorry, but it will be necessary to start from scratch. In order for the new stain to take hold, the old stain must be sanded away. I suggest using an Ozito 200W Detail Sander. This will make it much easier to remove the old stain and reduce your sanding time.

I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the stain sample board in the paint department. It will give you a much better idea of what the stains look like when applied to timber.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects