Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change a glazed pot to concrete effect?

ajeshabraham
Just Starting Out

How to change a glazed pot to concrete effect?

Hi

I have a few large glazed garden pots that I wish to convert to a concrete-look finish. Anyone got a tip of how I can achieve this?

I don't mind if the finish is rough or smooth. Ideally it should look like a concrete pot. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: glazed pot to concrete effect

Hello @ajeshabraham

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about converting the finish on your glazed pots.

If you are after that very specific concrete look, I suggest looking at these three products. First the Dulux Duramax Concrete Effect Spray. It's a water-based spray that gives you a nice-looking concrete finish. Next is the Rust-Oleum White Grey Spray Paint, which gives you a more speckled concrete finish compared to the semi-uniform finish of the Duramax. These first two products must be specially ordered at the special orders desk. The third product is the Crommelin 1L LiquidStone Basalt, although not specifically a concrete finish what it does provide is a rich dark heavily textured stone finish.

Aside from these products that I've mentioned, you can also have a look at the Dulux Special Effects paint. My number one suggestion is to prepare the surface of the pot. I recommend scuffing the surface of the pot with Flexovit 100mm x 1m 600 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll. Once you've scuffed the surface I suggest using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White. This will give the spray paint and the liquid stone an excellent surface to bind to. 

Here are some handy links to give you ideas:

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

Thank you so much for the reply. Great suggestions.

Just wondering if these options are suitable for outdoors.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ajeshabraham

Yes, all three products are good for outdoor use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects