Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level Merbau deck?

daniel4
Having an Impact

How to build a low-level Merbau deck?

Hi All.

This is my first DIY project after couple months spent reading and reviewing many Deck inspirations and DIY tips from this forum.

Some are :

Apologize for lack of knowledge from my side 😄

First thing : I have consulted with my own Local Council and they advised that Low Deck less than 400 mm height does not need any approval. However Deck edge distance to perimeter needs to be maintain 90 cm.

Deck area :  3600 x 31150 mm.  

Joists are 90x45 H3 Treated Pine - spaced 450 mm each. 
I put Minifoot Pedestal Feet as supporting base for my joists.

I will lay Merbau Deck Timber 90x19x2700 for the deck.

Questions

1. Do I need to build noggin between joist ?
2. What is the recommendation for the distance between 2 screws in the deck timber 90 mm wide ?
Deckhand Easy Fit Template 'suggests' 15 mm from Timber edge (1st screw will be placed at 15 mm and 2nd at 75 mm)

Thank you everyone for your responses and any suggestion is really appreciated.

Will keep updated about my progress.

Below is the current pic of frame progress.

frame-1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low Level Deck question

Hello @daniel4

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about your decking project.

That timber deck frame is looking fantastic. The purpose of putting in noggin between joists is to reinforce and stiffen the frame. From a support point of view, it is better to install noggins. The distance you mentioned for the screws is ideal, just make sure to drill pilot holes and countersink them to prevent splitting the board. I suggest investing in a counter-sinking drill bit with a stop collar to make the job easier.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay decking

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your deck fully assembled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daniel4
Having an Impact

Re: Low Level Deck question

Thank you @EricL for responding my queries.

Yes, I will install noggins accordingly, and will use  counter-sinking drill bit with a stop collar  for drilling this merbau deck.

Will keep this forum an update for my DIY project.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects