Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build nest boxes for possums and native birds?

Irene2
Just Starting Out

How to build nest boxes for possums and native birds?

Do Bunnings have a workshop on how to build nest boxes for possums and native birds?

GreenShoots
Having an Impact

Re: Do Bunnings have a workshop on how to build nest boxes for Possums and native birds

Hi @Irene2. I don't know whether Bunnings has workshops on building nest boxes, but the Nest Box Tales collection of nest box design booklets is a great resource.

It has plans for different nest boxes specifically designed for dozens of different Australian bird and marsupial species.

Different birds and animals often have very different needs in a nest box. Some of the things you need to consider include the size of the hole (to keep predators and competitors out); whether you need to have a "ladder" of grooves in the wood inside the nest box for the birds to climb up; how to keep water out; how to position it so it doesn't get too hot; and the need to ensure that there's nothing toxic in the timber and other products you use. The little nesting boxes you sometimes see in pet stores generally aren't suitable for native birds.

What sort of birds and possums are you hoping to attract? I've put up a nesting box for lorikeets or other small parrots, but no luck yet...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do Bunnings have a workshop on how to build nest boxes for Possums and native birds

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Irene2. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a nesting box.

Have a look at this helpful step-by-step guide on How to make a D.I.Y. bird nesting box. As @GreenShoots has mentioned, you might like to tailor it to target your species of choice. 

I've put together a rendering of a possum box I built alongside Wires and with the assistance of the Men's Shed. I think we made over 50 of them. We stapled mesh inside the box to allow exit. It's a relatively simple design that can be made from marine-grade plywood and then coated with exterior water-based paint.

If you are interested in checking out the upcoming D.I.Y. in-store workshops, you can see those on the Bunnings website. Alternatively, please speak with your local store's Activities Organiser and let them know you're interested in a nesting box workshop.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Poss1.pngPoss2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
torilee
Getting Established

Re: How to build nest boxes for possums and native birds?

Hi, what is the best way to affix possum box to brick wall?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build nest boxes for possums and native birds?

Hi @torilee,

There are several hardware options for fixing things to brick walls and the choice of products would be relative to your circumstances.

Assuming the possum box is similar to the design @MitchellMc as shown above and is not excessively heavy, you can use Ramset 10 x 50mm DynaBolts or Ramset 6 x 50mm Galvanised AnkaScrews directly through the back wall of the possum box into the wall. I would suggest four of these anchors, one in each corner. 

When installing the anchors, ensure that the anchor goes into the brick, not the grout.

You might like to check out How To Drill Into Bricks and How to hang just about anything for some additional guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects