Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build multi-level floor decking?

Tino86
Finding My Feet

How to build multi-level floor decking?

Hi, I am trying to match a new deck to an existing deck. 

Problem being, I have multiple floor level to match to this deck. The highest level is only 83mm from top existing deck board to new floor level therefore not leaving enough room for the required minimum 75*35m

m framing timber.

I hope this makes sense to someone, I will attach photos which may make it clearer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build multi-level floor decking?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tino86. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

Provided the timber is supported adequately, you could turn 90 x 45mm framing on its side so it's only 45mm high. That, plus your 19mm decking, will come to 65mm high. However, you need to be aware that if you construct a deck within such a low-level height, you will reduce its longevity due to a lack of airflow through the structure and the early onset of decay. I'd recommend gapping your decking boards at 6mm to try to offset this issue slightly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the reply.

As I am not laying the framework onto concrete directly I don't think that would work as it would not be strong enough. I only have clearance for 75x35 plus the deck board in the highest area but it needs to match up to an existing deck which is higher than that. Therefore needing a way to anchor to the floor.

Could doubling up the 75x35 be a solution?

I tried to upload a photo yesterday but it wouldn't let me. Upload error.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like an image or sketch would certainly help @Tino86. Let me know if you continue to have an issue uploading an image. You can send them through to workshop@bunnings.com.au and I'll post them for you.

Doubling up the 75 x 35 could be an option.

Mitchell

I have sent an email to the above address for you attention. 

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I will keep an eye out @Tino86, but they haven't arrived yet. You might want to try sending them through again.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just butting in here @Tino86 about your images so you know for next time. You were receiving the error because they were jpg format images but the extension of the files was .png. 

Thanks, I'm sure the team will get back to you with further advice ASAP.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tino86 

Thank you for sharing those extra photos of your deck. Can I please ask you to measure the thickness of your current decking frame? This will give us an idea of what timber size was used for your existing deck. I believe that it's possible to match the existing height of your deck, but we'll need more information as you have have uneven flooring.

Using 70mmx35mm with the 35mm side up the height of the decking frame will be 70mm. If we add the regular 19mm decking panel you will have a total of 89mm with no gap at the bottom. As Mitchell mentioned if you were to turn the timber with the 70mm side up, the height of the deck frame would be 35mm. Plus, the 19mm decking panel you would have 54mm in total. The same exercise can be applied to the 70x45 and 90x45 timber framing pieces.    

The frame can be lifted off the ground using wedges or pavers depending on the gap that will be available for the decking frame. It can be protected with bitumen paint and joist tape to protect the decking frame from heavy moisture exposure. The more space you have under the deck of course means that you'll get better air circulation underneath. Can you please tell us the height of the lowest part of your floor and what does your current decks footing look like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects