Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a waterproof wooden box?

graemekoz
Just Starting Out

How to build a waterproof wooden box?

I want to create a box similar to this which will stay outdoors for an extended time.  I created one previously but it's become water damaged and I'm wondering the best material and way of creating this so that water can't get in. 

Is Ply ok for this or is there another material that I can get?

What paint or sealant would you recommend to make it waterproof.  

The opening on the front will remain open.   The heat from the projector should mean rain won't affect it however open to any suggestions on how to prevent this?   I don't want to reduce the image quality if i can avoid it as it's projecting onto the house.    Outside of the season I could put a perspex cover on to protect it.

Thanks for your advice in anticipation.  I really am not good in this area!

graemekoz_0-1728861408979.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a waterproof wooden box?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @graemekoz. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a weather-proof box.

To build a waterproof wooden box that can withstand outdoor conditions, I recommend using marine-grade plywood, which is designed to resist moisture and is less susceptible to water damage compared to regular plywood. You should ensure that the entire surface of the marine ply is coated with high-quality exterior paint to provide a weather-resistant seal. Sealing the inside joints with silicone would also help. However, be mindful that any ports or openings in the enclosure can become potential ingress points for water, so sealing those appropriately is essential.

I do have concerns about humidity and potential damage to the electronics, it’s a good idea to bring the unit under cover when not in use. This will help protect it from excessive moisture and environmental factors that could lead to damage.

Since the front of the box will remain open for airflow, consider using a small overhang or a waterproof cover when not in use to deflect rain. Additionally, you mentioned the idea of using a perspex cover during the off-season, which is an excellent way to provide extra protection without compromising the projector’s image quality.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects