Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a walk-in bird enclosure?

macnaughtonm
Just Starting Out

How to build a walk-in bird enclosure?

Hi

I am looking to build a walk-in bird enclosure for my daughter. It would be built under our deck in the triangular space under the stairs.

Attached are 3 pictures for reference.

1. Photo of the existing space.

2. Front design of the enclosure with door frame and door

3. Structure of the frame to be stand alone and removalable if kids lose interesting in a few years time.

Questions

1. What size outdoor treated pine dimensions would you use for the frame?

2. Is the structural design strong enough? (it can be attached to the current stair beams)

3. How is it best to measure the angles for the apex of the structure? I have been thinking of investing in a drop saw to get the angles correct.

4 How best to fasten the joins?

5 18mm by 18mm mesh is recommended for keeping Budgie. What product would you recommend? 

Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MicheleExisting structure for walk in bird enclosuresExisting structure for walk in bird enclosuresDesign idea, front viewDesign idea, front viewStructural frame in 3DStructural frame in 3D

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a walk-in bird enclosure?

Hi @macnaughtonm,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

This looks like a fun project that I'm excited to see come to life.

To answer your questions -

1. I'd suggest using 70x35 H3 framing pine. This is treated for outdoor use and is certainly strong enough for this application. The only problem is that h3 timber can't be in contact with the ground, so wherever it is touching the ground, you should paint it with Gripset Betta Waterproofing Bitumen Membrane.

2. I wouldn't advise using your stairs as structural support, but rather as something to anchor a self-supporting structure to. You should alter the design, so you've essentially got 2 stud-framed walls that are connected with cross pieces to form a box. Check out How To Build a Stud Wall for an example of how they are built. Studs can be spaced at 600mm intervals with the top plate running along the underside of the stairs.

3. Angles can be found and transferred onto your timber using an angle finder or sliding bevel. For cutting angles like this consistently, a mitre saw is a must. This Ozito 1600W 210mm 8¼" Corded Compound Mitre Saw is a good inexpensive option that is more than capable of this job.

4. I'd suggest these Zenith 10 - 8 x 75mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws with 2 at each connection. Generally, frames like this are built with framing nails, but as you've indicated you'd like to be able to fairly easily deconstruct it in the future so screws will make your life easier when it comes time.

5. There's a variety of aviary mesh, but this Jack 90cm x 30m 19 x 19mm Aviary Mesh is closest to the 18x18mm aperture that you've mentioned.

This should get you well on your way to a finished aviary but let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I'm more than happy to help further if required.

Also, allow me to tag @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @Noyade to see if they have any advice they can offer.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Afternoon @macnaughtonm 

Nice idea and having birds about is a nice addition to an area :smile:

I agree with @JacobZ 's recomendations as it follows along on my thoughts.

Some things to add (helped build an aviary for my mum when I was a teenager so its a fair time ago memory wise :smile: )

-Id actually have the bottom of the frame off the floor by the 18mm, this is for cleaning purposes and for hosing out.

-Design the base so you have no horizontal rail across the floor in the middle, for cleaning purpose as well.

-If you are intending to bread the sound of people walking up and down the steps may not be the best romantic feeling for the birds :smile: Our birds would spook at sounds is why Ive added this 

- Fix the area so its easy to clean. Mice will become your companions if you dont. The gap at the bottoom you could put mesh over it as well for this purpose but they will still get in.

- Protection from the wind/rain from the far side of the staircase might help the birds be happy.

- The type of bird for the mesh. Budgies no worries, larger birds will chomp through mesh easily given enough time.

Really think its a nice place for an aviary, and I am alos looking forward to seeing the project unfold.

Whoops last suggestion :smile: Maybe work in a double door to enter via. This is so birds cant fly the coup as easily as just a single bird.

Dave

wow thanks Jacob, that is all very helpful and definitely great advice to get started. 

Any tips on the door structure and hinges?

Also how best to fasten the Avery mesh to the structure?

Will be hitting my local Bunnings tmrw to get all the materials. 

Thanks again

Thanks Dave, really helpful advice on the more specific aviary things. I was planning to wrap the mesh wire under the bottom of the frame to stop the mice and mr fox getting in but having it raised for cleaning is great idea. mmmm yes and good point on the double door, will have a think on that one. I will match the stairway cladding on the back on the enclosure for weather protection. Would be awesome to have some baby birds but not sure how that will go with a 7 and 9 year popping in and out of their enclosure. Thanks for the encouragement.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @macnaughtonm,

Using the 70x35 framing, there is no reason you couldn't hang a door as you would in a house. This would certainly give you a solid entryway. You could use a Hume 2040 x 820 x 35mm External Door Duracote Flush X1 with Pinnacle 100mm Single Fixed Pin Butt Hinges and your choice of door hardware.

Check out How To Hang a Door for some guidance on this.

Another option may be to simply use a sheet of Ecoply 2400 x 1200 x 12mm Non Structural Plywood with some Pinnacle 200mm Galvanised Scotch Tee Hinges and Pinnacle 100mm Galvanised Gate Hooks to hold it closed.

In terms of the structure, you would need to ensure the studs on either side of the door run full height and are connected to your top plate and there is a header piece connecting these two studs above the doorway.

You can use these Paslode 30 x 4mm 500g Galvanised Staple Nails to connect the aviary mesh to your structure with Jack Flat Aviary Clips to join your mesh wherever required.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects