Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber slat gate and fence?

jimmyplagiare
Just Starting Out

How to build a timber slat gate and fence?

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if anybody may be able to offer me any pointers on this slatted gate and fence which i'm going to be constructing.

First, a badly photoshopped photo of my preferred design.

1000086974.png

The gate is the larger panel on the right, and the left side of the gate (near middle of the pathway) will be swinging inwards/away from point of view.

THE GATE 👇

https://www.bunnings.com.au/peak-products-1500mm-black-matte-heavy-duty-steel-fence-gate-assembly-br...

I'm assuming will be reasonably Heavy on it's RH post where's it's hinges will be installed, my thoughts are to secure this post some way to the white carport post to it's right, as it's a very sturdy post and goes into the concrete below the deck

And then also give this gate post a foot, which will screw in to the decking. (Any advice on some decent foot bases would be much appreciated, or also of course any better thoughts about doing it differently.

The other 2 posts on the left i feel "may" be ok standing with just feet bases screwed/bolted into decking... As they're  bearing only the weight of themselves and the joining slats/panel???

Any thoughts on this would be muchly appreciated.

Also, the idea for this came to me as i really love these screens sold at bunnings -

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-1800-x-902mm-pre-oiled-merbau-alternating-slat-fence-panel_p850...

I was initially wanting to just buy a few of these screens and just apply them, horizontally to the pillars/gate frame.

I then realized that i would have to chop and stack or maybe even deconstruct, cut and nail them to the pillars, due to to their height being under what's needed, when used horizontally.

Does anyone have any better suggestions than this?

Sorry if i sound lazy... I've never done anything like this before, and i wouldn't mind getting it right the first time 😃 as i can't afford to have a professional to come over and do it (unless i sell the caravan)

And also, secretly, i think I'd enjoy it?

Much appreciated for any responses given, & thanks in advance

Jimmy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a timber slat gate and fence?

Hi @jimmyplagiare,

We have post cover supports, but they'll prevent you from attaching your new post hard up against the existing one. There wouldn't happen to be any joists under the post locations that you could fix post brackets onto, would there? Is it soil under the deck? If there are no joists in the area, then I think the best course of action would be to remove some decking boards from the area and then concrete in your mid-post. The one on the right can be bolted to the existing post, and the one on the house side to the house. I'm not very confident in the ability to construct a solid post solely attached to the decking.

With a bit of work, you can certainly add to or cut up the Merbau panels, and I've done that myself in the past. Bear in mind that the bracing on the back is screwed and glued into position, so this might limit your ability to customise them. The other option is to purchase 90mm Merbau decking or 70mm Merbau pickets and create your own screening panels.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects