Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a concrete slab?

hessian86
Finding My Feet

How to remove a concrete slab?

Hi, we are planning to remove the concrete in the red highlighted section below and replace with turf.

What is the simplest way to remove the concrete, without hiring a concrete cutter?

Secondly how much concrete should we leave next to the rendered brick wall and fence, so we don't damage those foundations? 

Thanks

Christian 

concrete.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a concrete slab?

Hi @hessian86,

Thank you for your question about removing a concrete slab.

As I'm sure you can understand, concrete is not supposed to be easy to get rid of, so removing it requires either a massive amount of manual labour, or some heavy-duty tools.

To ensure the concrete breaks where you need it to, you are going to have to cut the concrete. Unfortunately, there is no real way to avoid this.

The best method for removing the concrete will involve making relief cuts with a Demolition Saw then using a Jack Hammer to break up the concrete to remove it. Depending on the thickness and strength of the concrete, you may be able to use a sledge hammer instead of the jack hammer, but from experience, this is not easy and will cause a lot of muscle soreness and frustration. 

I'd suggest leaving at least 150mm of concrete away from the wall to avoid any damage to the foundation.

Please ensure you wear personal protective equipment including a mask, eye protection, hearing protection, enclosed footwear (preferably steel caps) and long protective clothing.

If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Re: How to remove a concrete slab?

Thanks Jacob, that's really helpful, we are happy to use a sledgehammer to break it up, the bigger concern is not disturbing the existing foundations, and creating a straight line, so me may need to hire a concrete cutting saw. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects