Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

ricm
Building a Reputation

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

Hi there,
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated... We are building a new deck in an area with pavers in the back. We have an uneven area of pavers up against timber sleepers in the garden corner, my question is - what would you advise that we use to put under the decking to make the area level? If we put 'build tuff' as bases and attached the whole frame base to the side sleepers, would this work?  . 
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Update on Decking Project & Question

Hi @ricm,

I've been in contact with Ekodeck, and they've had feedback from installers that the boards can be curved and bent to a significant radius. You've got some relatively tight curves, but it should be possible to get them to suit. The boards can also be heated to allow tighter bends.

If you fix a fascia board at one end of your curve and bend it around it, how far off are you from making it fit? Rachet straps can help you pull it into position.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @ricm 

Mmmm thinking

First option

So instead of the amount of curves you want, how about reducing the curve distance down to a tighter bend with longer straight runs. That way you are now only deal with a smaller area. With the smaller, sharper bends The facia will be easier to install. Now the problem is how to do the sharper bend?

Second option

How about switching from the eco-deck to a differant material for the facia/trim area?

Brutus 50 x 6mm x 2.4m Building Moulding Cover Trim  You would need two of these side by side but it sounds like its a lot more fleiable and is only 6mm thick.

Which leads me to teh next part of the suggestion, head on into your local Bunnings and walk around the timber yard, see what materials that can be used that have "flex"" to them and can handle external conditions. I am thinking of some of the thinner firbro look materials and wondering if they could be used? That way you get to keep your long bends the way you want them.

So easy answer is to change material for the facia. It could solve your issue :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @ricm 

I hadnt refreshed my page when I was writing the response, I would strongly suggest to go with @MitchellMc's recomendations, especially for consistancy. I use ratchet straps when im getting my mmerbau boards straight a LOT. and it really works. If you look through my Privacy screen project it shows how I used the ratchets.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects