Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

How to build a low-level deck?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build a deck in our alfresco. At this point, it's still on the planning stage. I've seen a few posts here and there on this forum and would very much appreciate some further inputs to more experienced people than me. 

My background: I work in the IT industry and "hardware" isn't really my thing lol. Anyway, I've built a few benches, and tables (nothing fancy) but not really built anything as big as an outdoor deck.

Project Alfresco: We have a small alfresco that my wife insists should have a deck. I agree, and I want to build it myself. Here's some bit of a challenge. The brick height is low, and also, "not even" from the side near the wall (corner of the doorway), it's around 130mm slopes down to 125mm the other side. Also, what would look good:(1) building the deck only on the slab of the alfresco, or (2) including the one outside as well?

Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?height is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the rightheight is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the right

Need suggestions on best way to build it, should I use this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuffblock-300-x-300-x-90mm-instant-foundation-system-deck-support_p24103... shour I do something else? Open to any suggestions at this point since this is my first build.

thank you.

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

Hello @Dave-1 ,

The other joists prior to this problematic one had 4 brackets spread evenly. (4.7m joist length)... You reckon if I drill this bracket right in the middle, it should be alright? Won't that make the bracket a bit "weak" (don't know the term). And that would mean, I'll only have one bolt on the timber. 

and what do you mean by "bump up the bottom hole by 15mm"? This one too: "Or depending on how many brackets are short, only use one hole into the timber and add some more brackets instead. That way you will still have the same amount of attachments.". Not quite sure what you mean here.

Thanks!

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

Morning @yeahboo 

Drill a new hole in the bracket in the area I have marked with a red ring. That will still give you two attach points per bracket. (use the top existing hole and the new hole. Use a Vice to hold and then drill the bracket or put the bracket over a spare piece of timber offcut (bracket facing down), clamp it and then drill it.

01 05-08-2024b.jpg

The other option is to only use the top hole but have more brackets along the length of the timber rail. If all four brackets you are using only have one hole each that can be used as you think the others are too close to the edge then instead of four brackets go for 6 brackets spaced evenly over the length with one bolt per one. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects