Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a decorative screen?

Bee_ginnerDIYer
Finding My Feet

How to build a decorative screen?

Hi, I would like to make a decorative outdoor screen and I’m wondering what material would be best to use for this project please? 

It will be approximately 210cm high and 150cm wide.

It will have a repeating pattern cut out of it which mimics that of a breeze block wall.

It will be attached to a frame to help support it and keep its shape.

It will be painted white.

I have a jigsaw, handsaws, and a cordless drill.

I was thinking of using plywood but I’m not sure how effectively I would be able to get clean lines/edges on the pattern I’m cutting out with the jigsaw. I’m happy to use a different material /panel, if it gives me cleaner cuts. 

I would prefer the screen to be thinner rather than thicker for ease of cutting, however I understand the need for strength.

Any advice on materials, techniques and tools would be greatly appreciated please. I’m a beginner DIYer.

Thanks 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a decorative screen?

Hi @Bee_ginnerDIYer,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fabulous to have you with us.

Thank you for your question about creating a decorative outdoor screen, this sounds like a fabulous project that I'm excited to assist you with.

As the panel's intended location is outdoors, I'd advise using marine ply, such as this 2440 x 1220mm 9mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade alongside 70x35 H3 Pine for the frame. The marine plywood has a high-quality face that would be perfect for a decorative piece.

A problem I can see is that panel products such as plywood are not made in sizes large enough to do this in one piece. The 210cm is not an issue, but I am not aware of any sheet product that is manufactured 150cm wide. This can be worked around by using 2 panels with a join in the middle, but it will have to be factored into the design as any cutouts would show the framing behind.

Unfortunately, a jigsaw is not going to be the best tool if you are looking for clean lines as they tend to cause tear-out on plywood. The best way I can see to create a repeating pattern with sharp clean lines is to use a template alongside a trim router with a Carbitool 9.53mm TCT Inverted Flush Filter Router Bit

Use your jigsaw to cut a template out of 7mm Plywood. This template can then be clamped to the marine ply using Craftright 2 Piece Quick Action Clamps. You will then start the cut with your jigsaw, to allow you to insert the router bit through the workpiece. The router bit I have linked to has a guide wheel that can be used to follow the inside of the template to cut out the shape. This will give you much cleaner lines than a jig saw would.

If you had some photos of the area you were planning on installing the screen, as well as a basic drawing of what you were planning, I'd be happy to assist further with the design. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Also, allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any advice they can add, @Nailbag, @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue, @Noyade.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bee_ginnerDIYer,

Interesting project! I love Breezeblock walls, and I'm considering giving your idea a go, too. I've taken some time and created some renderings for you. If you were to make the "blocks" 250 x 250mm, you'd get six evenly across and eight down, with some space to spare. I've isolated a single block in hopes you might be able to scale it on a printer and create your template from it. I've just eyeballed the design, so you might want to change it yourself.

Hope this helps!

Mitchell

Panel.pngTemplate.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Bee_ginnerDIYer 

Love that breezblock style, takes me right back to when my Grandfather built a wall of them. From memory he had a mould that you us eto be able to buy to make them yourself :surprised: There were a few different concrete items from moulds around his place :smile:

I really like your idea and like @JacobZ 's suggestions to cutting it out. I hadnt considered the attrition rate cutting out all those segments using a jigsaw but JacabZ has a very good point. So his option is what I would follow to cut it out. A coping saw is another tool that could be usedbut you would have to have muscles of steel and patience, loads of patience.

Would really like to see your project unfold :smile: Please take a bunch of photos as you make it :smile:

Not a great alternate idea but just in case

Use the marine ply, paint it a solid black or the same colour of the background where you are installing it. Then use @MitchellMc's template to create a stencil. Use a roller to paint over the stencil :smile: 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bee_ginnerDIYer 

I love hand built decorative screens. Have you considered building a timber frame and using Jack Matrix 1810 x 905mm Off White Orbit Screen Panel with Frame. The Matrix panels come in a variety of patterns and in a few different sizes. Please have a look and tell us if this material will work for your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Bee_ginnerDIYer 

I would consider saving yourself a lot of work and expense and look at the large range of decorative screens available in a range of materials. Installing posts in to the ground, then fixing these across each one to the desired length is going to make the project a lot easier with very few power tools required. Check these samples out.

Regards, Nailbag.

Hi JacobZ,

First I’d like to thank you so much for your thorough response.

I actually intend to make a few of these, so the size of the screen will vary. When maker a larger version using the marine ply you suggest, how would you recommend joining the pieces?
I was going to paint a very faint line around each “block” in my faux breeze block screen, so seeing a join is not really a problem. 

Also, is there any other material you might recommend for this project? Like some kind of plastic/manmade material? 

Thanks again. 

Hi MitchellMc,

Wow! Thanks so much for taking to the time to mock up that rendering! 
You must be psychic because I’m copying star breeze blocks I already have. I love the optical illusion the star/circle creates. 

I was going to make my screen “blocks” the same size as mine 29 x 29 cm plus 1cm for the mortar lines. 

Very excited for this project! 
Please let us know if you go ahead with this project too. 

Hi Dave,

What a great story! I love that your Grandfather made them with at home. I think with the recent love for mid century modern design breeze blocks are “back” which makes these products more available (and more appreciated) again. 

I taught myself to lay bricks and have had decent success but am not confident enough to mortar a breeze block wall of this height…yet. Making these screens also gives me versatility in that they can removed and moved. 

Re tools, I have patience and enjoy doing fiddly, repetitive work but not so much muscle, so yes I’m looking into joining a tool library so that I can access more tools. 

Hi EricL,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. 
Yes, I have looked at that range (and searched elsewhere) but I can’t find an outdoor screen that mimics the star breeze block pattern that I need to match the ones on my property. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects