Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck off a pool?

Adamski_26
Just Starting Out

How to build a deck off a pool?

Hi I am going to build a 5m x 3m deck off the back of my pool, the pool sits about 500mm out of the ground, i will be using Ekodeck on top, any ideas on what size bearers, joists and stirrupsScreenshot 2023-08-22 221803.png should use and if I should bolt one of the bearers to the pool. IMG_3912.jpgIMG_7258.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building a deck off a pool

Hi @Adamski_26 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a deck near your swimming pool.

I suggest having a quick look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will give you very good ideas on the type of timber you can use for your decking. A good example is the combination of 140 x 45mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine - 5.4m along with 90 x 45mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine 3.6m

In regards to the post, I propose having a look at the 100 x 100mm 3.0m H4 Treated Pine Post. This is commonly used as footing for low decks. Please remember to check with your local council on the rules and regulations regarding building decks near swimming pools. As it adds height to the level of the floor inside the pool area it might disqualify your pool fence height. It's best to double check before you begin. 

It would be more prudent to have the decking frame independent of the swimming pool. This means that you won't have to compromise the swimming pool structure and any repairs you have to carry out on the deck will not affect the pool.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular deck projects

I also suggest having a look at the Bunnings video guide on deck building:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a deck off a pool?

Hi @Adamski_26,

We are looking forward to following your decking project as it progresses. 

To add to Eric's comprehensive reply, I just thought I'd suggest you take a look at some poolside decking projects other Bunnings Workshop members have shared:

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects