Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a catio?

auntyTitchy
Finding My Feet

How to build a catio?

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_3103.jpeg

Hi all,

Im wanting to build a catio in this space

(attached as well is my concept drawing)

My approx measurements are 2.5m x 3m 

(I haven’t measured height yet but I’m guessing at about 2m?)

Materials I’m thinking will be 75x30mm treated pine and cat netting.

I plan to remove the corrugated plastic-y stuff and cut back a lot of the foliage on the front side.

my question/questions are:

How do I go about calculating how much timber to purchase?

How many support/cross beams are actually necessary for this size structure? (ie have I gone overboard and could save $ and work?)

and What is the best way to build/insert the door?

Thanks in advance

Bec (and Minnie the Cat)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a catio?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @auntyTitchy. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a catio.

What are your thoughts on not adding mesh to the roof and building the walls to connect to the roof beams? That will save you some timber needed for the roof, and it alleviates an issue where 70 x 35mm timber can't span across the 2.5m width unsupported; you'd need a larger calibre like 140 x 45mm for that. I've created a rendering below to illustrate.

Once I have you're preference I can assist with timber quantities.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks so much for your advice.

You’re quite right, I don’t really need the frame to fill the whole space. I could attach net to the far and right side (where the plastic is currently) and just build a frame wall for the closest side.

I can’t see your attachment but I’ve drawn up another image - is this about what you are describing?

IMG_3116.jpeg

 thanks again,

Bec ☺️

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @auntyTitchy 

That pretty much looks like what Mitchell has suggested. My only other recommendation is to make sure that the netting is totally secure and will not allow your cat to wiggle out of any open sections. I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Cat enclosure by @Chrissie35. Some of the elements of that project might be applicable to yours. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects