Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add expansion joints between wall and concrete paver?

kashifrana
Finding My Feet

How to add expansion joints between wall and concrete paver?

My Building inspection report before buying mentioned under minor defect "Installed concrete pavers are lacking appropriate expansion joints, there is an increased risk of cracking to the concrete pavers, as well as potential damage to the adjoining brick walls due to the stress from thermal expansion. It is recommended that qualified professional be engaged to assess the extent of the issue and add expansion joints where required."

My questions are:
1- Adding expansion joints between wall and concrete paver is even possible in already built concrete paver or paver needs to be rebuilt if it is that bad?
2- There is a very small gap between walls and concrete paver (shown in picture). Is it ok/enough to fill with backer rod and self leveling sealant as weeds are kept coming out of this gap and my concern is filling that gap should not create stress/pressure condition to cause cracks in paver or wall?
Appreciated your input
expansion joint.jpgsmall gap

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Missing Expansion Joints between wall and concrete paver

Hi @kashifrana,

Thank you for your question about the expansion joints that were flagged in your building inspection report.

It looks like the concrete pathway was poured after the brick was already in place without any consideration for expansion.

Unfortunately, the crack you have doesn't look wide enough to retrofit an expansion joint.

The solution that is likely required is to cut or grind out a space wide enough to install Abelflex Expansion Joint Filler Foam, then cover it with Sika 600ml Concrete Grey Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant.

I'd suggest contacting a concrete cutting company for their assistance with widening this crack so you can retrofit an expansion joint. You can use a service such as HiPages or True Local to find companies that do this kind of work in your area.

You can then follow the process in How to fill a joint in a concrete slab to install your expansion joint.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hello Jacob

Thanks a lot for your great suggestion. In your opinion, if I just pour some Sikaflex in these small gaps to block water seepage then would ti be sufficed at this stage? as the pathway is already 7-8 years old and did not cause cracks in the wall

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kashifrana,

There is still potential for cracking in the future, but if the concrete was going to crack or cause damage to the brickwork, I imagine after 7-8 years there would already be signs.

If you were just looking to block the weeds from growing, then this would not increase the potential for damage in any way.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects