Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a base or a platform for bins?

Hammad
Just Starting Out

How to build a base or a platform for bins?

1000096868.jpg

1000096867.jpg

  

Hi All. New to this forum. I want to build a platform or a flat base for keeping bins as shown in the photo. There are a few challenges though, slope being the biggest. The area slopes down as we move away from the driveway. I would say the slope is around 50mm. Ideally would want it to be flush with the  concrete part under the brick wall. It doesn't need to be flush with the driveway anyway as the driveway slopes down. Can you please share ideas and step by step process? I will be very grateful. I am handy, and very keen to carry out this task. Located in Brisbane. Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a base or a platform for bins?

Hello @Hammad 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a platform for the bins.

I propose using sleepers as a frame as they will be able to withstand direct soil contact. The slope must be levelled out a bit using a shovel or whatever garden tools you might have around. Once it is level you can place the sleeper frame directly on top and use Merbau or Pine decking panels for the top of the platform. It's important that the platform be as close to level as the driveway. In this manner there will be no need to lift/pull the bin with force when bringing it out to the front of the driveway.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how you can assemble the frame of the platform.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Hammad
Just Starting Out

Thank you for your help Eric. Very encouraging! Do you mind sharing a video or a guide on building a sleeper frame? Can you also advise if the decking panels you referred to are available at Bunnings? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Hammad 

I propose measuring the available space for your platform. Using those measurements, you can build a simple rectangular frame. You'll need four pieces in total, two pieces for the side and two for the top and bottom of the frame. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how they can be joined together. I suggest doing pre-drilling/pilot holes on the timber so that it will not split the timber. I recommend using Buildex 12g x 100mm 8 TPI Climacoat RapidDrive Treated Pine Screws to join them together.

In regards to the decking panels they are available at the store and come in various lengths. Make sure to bring your tape measure so you'll know how much you'll need. Once the frame is assembled, measure the width of the frame and cut the decking panels to length. Screw them in using Buildex 10-8 x 40mm Climacoat Treated Pine And Hardwood Decking Screws - 100 Pack. Make sure to put two on each end of the panel. Again, pre-drill to avoid splitting the timber. Leave a minimum space of 5mm between each decking panel.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to build a deck (some of the techniques used are applicable to your project)

Please note that the measurements are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects