Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach solar lights to Colorbond fence?

rsanghoi
Just Starting Out

How to attach solar lights to Colorbond fence?

Hi, 
I'm looking for advise to install 12 Solar Accent lights on colorbond fence; Each light measures around 900 grams (Ref: Natural & Solar GTX Solar Post Accent Light 4 Pack | Cost... (costco.com.au),WhatsApp Image 2024-09-16 at 12.59.03_5cc8857f.jpg
and 4 lights spacd about 1.5- 2 metres apart will go on 1 fence.
I'm leaning to use a weatherproof double sided heavy duty tape to be able to do that, and avoid having to drill into the fence (potential rust issues in future, and not all neighbours might like the idea of drilling into common fence) 
There are 2 that I hope should meet the requirment 
 - Scotch (Scotch-Mount 2.54 x 1016 cm Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape Mega Roll - Bunnings Australia
 - Gorilla (Gorilla 3.04m Black Mounting Tape - Bunnings Australia
Both have nearly the same specs, same load capacity (4" for a 1 pound)  - please advise which one of the two is better. based on your exprience and recommendations. 
Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach solar lights to Colorbond fence?

Hello @rsanghoi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your questions about installing solar lights.

I've used the Scotch-Mount 2.54 x 1016 cm Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape Mega Roll before, and it is very effective. I used it to attach a solar light on the side of my house, the solar light is no longer working but it is still stuck to the wall. My best advice is to use isopropyl alcohol on the surface of the post before you attach the tape on it. 

My other suggestion is to attach SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking on the post and top cover of the Colorbond fence. This will then allow you to screw the solar light in any place. In regards to drilling into the fence, as long as it is in the post and top rail your neighbours will not see the screws.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good morning @rsanghoi 

Im one of the people that dont like anything attached to a fence 😕 Over time the extra weight/force tends to bow teh fence line out of true and yeah fences do that naturaly I know. 

The double sided tape I would be interested in, @EricL 's example is perfect (and seriously surrprising) to show that it can be done.

My two other options for your fence mounted solar lights

Install seperate posts :smile: A pain and will potentially cause an issue mowing, running around.

Instead of drilling into the fence. How about making up a hook bracket with some flat steel. 

Flat steel strap say 30mm wide.

Imaagine it hooked up and over the fence post and then turned down by 1cm

Then down the height of your fence to about half way.

Right angle out the width of your solar light and a 1cm turn upwatds.

Think a Very elongated straight shaped S

No holes needed and they can be removed easily. If you want to screw them I would say screw them to the fence posts as @EricL has suggested. That would give you the best structual spot and you are allowed to do that to your side of teh fence (as long as it dosnt protude to the neighbours side)

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @rsanghoi 

How heavy are these lanterns? Would glued 'super' magnets to their backs maintain position on a colourbond fence?

Move them anytime anywhere.

Just a thought.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhang-47-x-22mm-rectangle-ceramic-magnet-2-pack_p3690097

Thanks @Noyade . 
Each light is about 890 gms - do you think each of these these magnets can take this load ?

Thanks @Dave-1 . 
Making this hook bracket sounds doable  - I think I got the gist of it; you have any photo of how would it look like. 
And can I get these straps at bunnings, or elsewhere? 

rsanghoi
Just Starting Out

Thanks @EricL 
I'll go with the Scotch Tape then, wherever I need to use the double tape. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @rsanghoi 

Airco 30 x 0.8mm x 6m Structural Galvanised Strapping or

Carlray 25 x 1.2mm x 1.8m Galvanised Hoop Iron (This could be better as it is thicker but narrower :/)

01 17-09-2024.jpg

I listed two differeant types of metal strips. It would be an idea for you to check out your top of fence and then check out the two types at Bunnings. That way you can judge which will work better. You have 12 lights so Im thinking at least 15-18m of the strapping you will need.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects