Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a PVC pipe cat enclosure?

Cathouse
Just Starting Out

How to build a PVC pipe cat enclosure?

I am looking to make a cat enclosure outside a window 

24624_232_pm.jpg

 looking to make a cat enclosure using pvc pipe but  really sure which pipe I need to use.  Looking at ht 2300 x L3000 x W 1200. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pvc pipe cat enclosure

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Cathouse. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a cat enclosure.

You might like to take a look at this amazing indoor to outdoor cat tower by @Shannon; it's a sensational project.

Regarding your PVC enclosure, I recommend you use 40mm PVC pipe, as it is reasonably rigid and should allow you to span a decent distance (around 1200mm) before it starts sagging. You'll also need a number of Holman 40mm 90° White PVC Elbows and Holman 40mm 88° Female and Female PVC DWV Plain Junctions. Alternatively, Holman 40mm EzyFit 3 Way PVC Joints can be used for your corners. You'll need to use solvent cement to glue all the joints together.

I've created the rendering below to help illustrate how the unit could be put together. Mesh can be cable-tied to the exterior.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: pvc pipe cat enclosure

Hello @Cathouse 🖐

What a wonderful project, just curious what type of base you had decided on?  perhaps parallel cement pavers?  compacted gravel? 🤔

We too have a Cat Enclosure along the side of our house, a wooden treated pine frame and fence slat construction (for improved air flow), insect screens have been an ongoing repair since first construction with the uprated pet-mesh fairing the best overall.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects