Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a Korean BBQ table?

summoner
Finding My Feet

How to build a Korean BBQ table?

I would like to build a BBQ table that i saw in Korean restaurant. Something like the below images that i found on google.

images (1).jpeg

images.jpeg

So i purchased below BBQ from Amazon to make my own Korean BBQ table.

Screenshot_20221103-102921_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The basic idea is to cut a hole in a table and insert the BBQ grill. Only the part of the BBQ that will touch the tabe would be the rim of the BBQ. 

I have been testing this BBQ few times now on top of the table on a pot stand and had no issues. I have also touched the rim of the BBQ to see how hot it gets during the operation and found that it does not really get hot. It just felt warm so i can keep my finger on the rim the whole time if i wanted to.

Now, i have few questions.

If anyone has done it before, would it be safe to make this table? Is there any issues that i may have overlooked?

What sort of table top would i want? Is something like pine wood table top be ok for this project? Or is there a variety that i sould use for this project?

And what would be the easiest way to cut a circle out of a table top?

I would appreciate any input. Thank you in advance!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Making Korean BBQ tabls

Hi @summoner 

My family went to a Korean restaurant last year for middle son's birthday and they had a similar set-up for each diner's table. The table was wood and the BBQ was powered by a butane canister and above the burner was a large exhaust fan. Quite novel I thought - but none of us enjoyed the meal.

Looking at your Amazon kit - it should be simple I would think to replicate the inner body diameter on a wooden table and cut it out with a jig-saw. But I note it's powered by charcoal and am wondering how much heat would be absorbed by the wood - and looking at your middle photo, not something you would want to do indoors - carbon monoxide poisoning?

I did see one at Coles recently - heavily discounted - and it was electric. I thought of doing something like what you're thinking above, but the grilling area was exceptionally small and it was oval shaped.

Thanks for sharing your thought and story! 

I agree with you of not using it indoors. If i end up proceeding with this project, it will be strictly for outdoor use only. I already have the fire blanket and extinguisher just in case too. :laugh:

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

👍😁

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a Korean BBQ table?

Hello @summoner

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about making a Korean barbeque table.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. I totally agree with his recommendations on safety and using it only outdoors. My only suggestion is to have a good look at its instruction booklet and see if it has advice when installing it into timber tops. Because it uses charcoal, I suggest never leaving it unattended when it's in operation. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to create a cut-out for sinks and cooktops ( The methods used should be applicable to your bbq. ) 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric.

Thank you for the tip.

Unfortunately, the BBQ grill did not come with any instruction for the timber top installation. 

I agree not to leave it unattended on the table while the charcoal is burning. I always light up the charcoals using webber chimney starter in my webber kettle. Then transfer the charcoal to the charcoal basket for this BBQ. When i am done, i move the charcoal basket back into the webber kettle, where i feel a lot safer, until its off. I would do the same if and when i proceed with the project of making this table.

Also, thank you for the link to the video. I guess i will get myself a jigsaw to make the hole on the table. :laugh:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please share the end result @summoner. I'm sure many Workshop community members would be excited and inspired by what you can create.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects