Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach bamboo screen to fence?

wongedwoman
Growing in Experience

How to attach bamboo screen to fence?

I want to install economical bamboo screens on my fence.  I have a Trojan Heavy Duty Staple Gun.  Can I use this to install the bamboo screen on the fence ? What do I need?

Thanks

Pam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DYI Economic bamboo screen for fence installation

Hi Pam (@wongedwoman),

That would most likely work, but I have concerns about the longevity of the staples outside in the weather; they might only last a year before rusting through. Instead, I would suggest you use Paslode 15 x 2.0mm 100g Galvanised Staple Nails. They'll be more work to install but last far longer.

Alternatively, I like to run a wire along the fence fixed at both ends. I run one at the top, middle, and bottom at a height that corresponds with the horizontal wire in the bamboo screening. Once the three wires are installed, which can be tensioned with Zenith 5mm Galvanised Eye And Eye Turnbuckles, you can simply attach the screening to the wire guides with black cable ties.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wongedwoman
Growing in Experience

Re: How to attach bamboo screen to fence?

Thank you.

If I use the Paslode 15 x 2.0mm 100g Galvanised Staple Nails. , can I use my Trojan Heavy Duty Staple Gun?

Thanks

Hi @wongedwoman,

Unfortunately not, you would need to drive them in with a hammer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wongedwoman
Growing in Experience

Mitchell,

I have a big truck tyre and need to make a cut along the side.  What do I need to cut into the rubber.

Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @wongedwoman,

Thank you for your question about cutting a truck tyre.

There are a number of ways you could cut a rubber tyre, but the circumstances would dictate the best way to go about it. 

Does the cut need to be clean? Or is it being cut up so it can be thrown away?  

If you have an angle grinder such as this Ryobi 750W 100mm Angle Grinder, using a cut-off wheel will allow you to cut through the tyre with ease. If you choose to do this, please remember to use all relevant personal protective equipment including gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, enclosed shoes, long-sleeved shirt and long pants.

If you didn't have an angle grinder you could use a drill such as this Ryobi 18V ONE+ Drill Driver with a large drill bit to create a pilot hole in the tyre. Once there's a hole, you can use some Craftright 250mm Straight Cut Aviation Snips inserted in the pilot hole to cut the tyre, but please note this would take a fair bit of elbow grease as there will be steel wires to cut through.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

wongedwoman
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your great advice and help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects