Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whats the correct way to fix a break in a downpipe?

Danielhi
Just Starting Out

Whats the correct way to fix a break in a downpipe?

IMG_20240622_151415.jpg

Short story. Skateboard met downpipe, and now there's a gaping hole.

Put a tennis ball in the top in case it rains, but need to head out to the Green Church tomorrow morning to get supplies and have it mended.

I assume I'll need to cut the section out but the fitting into the concrete concerns me. 

Any ideas or suggestions on how I can repair this correctly? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Whats the correct way to fix a break in a downpipe?

Hi @Danielhi,

Many thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

It should be fairly easy to repair and as you suspected you'll need to cut out a section of the pipe to install a new piece.

Start by measuring the pipe to ascertain the diameter, I suspect it is probably 90mm. Once you're aware of the diameter, head to your local Bunnings and pick up  Protek 125ml Red Priming Fluid, Protek 125ml Type N Blue Cement Solvent a 1m section of pipe in the corresponding size such as this Holman 90mm x 1m Stormwater Pipe and a slip coupling such as this Holman 90mm PVC Stormwater Slip Coupling

Cut out a section of the pipe using a hacksaw such as this Craftright 300mm Tubular Hacksaw leaving about 20mm above the coupling so you can pull it out with some pliers. You may need to use a flathead screwdriver to get in behind the pipe to help lever it out.

Once prepared, measure and cut a section of your new downpipe to bridge the removed section. Attach the slip coupling to one end, prime and glue it in place with the solvent cement. Then apply primer and glue to both ends, slip the pipe down into the coupling that goes through the concrete and slip the top of your new pipe over the old downpipe. Rotate everything 90 degrees to ensure the glue creates a vacuum and then leave it to dry.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

cheers Jacob,

How difficult is removing the cut section out of the fitting? I assume it's glued. Should it peel out okay with some persuasion? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Danielhi,

It's certainly possible you'll have some trouble as it's likely glued in place. It may be a case of trying and seeing.

Usually, when plumbers have trouble removing a pipe like this, they will run a vertical relief cut down the inside of the pipe to allow them to fold the pipe over itself slightly. You can use an IRWIN Mini Hacksaw inserted down the pipe for your relief cut. Just make sure you don't cut through the pipe and into the coupling, as you wouldn't want to damage this.

You might also find some benefit in using a heat gun such as this Ozito 2000W Variable Temperature Heat Gun, but this should only be used as a last resort as you may deform the coupling. 

Please note that these heat guns get surprisingly hot, so if you need to use one, please take care not to burn yourself. Trust me, from experience, it's not fun.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects