Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a post to a concrete retaining wall?

Amanda7
Getting Established

How to attach a post to a concrete retaining wall?

323105727_897782988039338_6451220914793744473_n.jpg323534894_896795391507900_8749591653645962654_n (1).jpg

Hi 

I'm attaching a timber post 100 x 75 mm about 1600 high to existing fence post and retaining wall. The purpose is to hang a side gate to it. Due to existing landscaping and drainage I'm not digging it in.

I note there was a similar question in May/June which has confirmed that using right angle brackets is the way to go. The difference is that  I cannot access the back of the sleeper. I have purchased dyna bolts to attach the brackets.

I note it was suggested to use Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus. What does this do? 

Any tips on how to go about this would be helpful

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to attach a post to a concrete retaining wall?

Hi @Amanda7 , and others.

Did no-one take on-board what I was trying to say, with respect to retaining walls?

Sorry, I don't want to come across as that guy, but you NEVER put a side load on a retaining wall.

Doing this, is liable to cause it to collapse, especially during heavy rainfall, no matter how good the bracing is to something else.

There have been land-slides when this has been done by people that don't understand the vertical and lateral forces involved.

I am in no way a structural engineer, but I have seen the effects of things like this collapsing as a Fire-fighter.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sure @Amanda7 appreciates your advice @MikeTNZ and has taken it on board. Hopefully, they can get back to us and let us know if the gate can be hung from the other side. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

324331138_1829198950785608_3768886892499335665_n.jpg

I'm afraid there isn't an option to attach to the house. It's a narrow passage and an open gate will prohibit easy access to the back garage door and laundry door which is to the right of the downpipe.

This is a temporary solution to keep my current foster dog in the back yard. The retaining wall runs the entire length of my property

Amanda7
Getting Established

Also, thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The existing post that the new post will be attached to is a corner post for a fence between my 2 Neighbours, so it is 'braced' by the fence panels. You can see the change in fence style either side.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Amanda7,

With your last picture, you may have answered your own question.

That post that is against the retaining wall, could serve as a stop for a gate, if it swung around to that point.

What you would need is for an engineer to weld a couple of hinges to take a small mesh gate, to a length of 50mm x 5mm flat galvanised steel

section and have some 12mm holes drilled in it at the top, bottom and somewhere in the middle, making a bracket for the gate.

The height of the gate would be entirely up to you.

All you (or the engineer) would need to do is fasten the bracket to the wall with 3 Dynabolts of about 100 mm depth and I think that would be pretty solid

You could even have a spring return between the upper an lower parts of the hinge section to make sure your dog doesn't get out.

Sorry, I misconstrued what you originally said, for that I apologise.

If you need any further help or advice, by all means, let me know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects