Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a beam to a roof extenda bracket?

Alexey
Finding My Feet

How to attach a beam to a roof extenda bracket?

Hi there,

what’s the best way to attach 150mm beam to Roof Extenda 

the base is only 45mm and I wonder if I can get a different saddle for it?

thank you

Alex

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach a beam to a roof extenda bracket?

Hi @Alexey,

What are the dimensions of your beam? 150mm sounds exceptionally wide. Most beams that would typically be used are 45mm thick.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I need to install 2 45x240 for the beam with 60cm gap as they will be sitting on 150mm posts like on this image

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Alexey 

I've given the Bunnings website a thorough search, but I could not find any other version of the Roof  Extenda Bracket. Can I please ask for more information regarding how these timber pieces will be joined together? If the center piece is 150x150 will this be attached to the Extenda Bracket? It appears that the timber pieces are crossing over each other does that mean you'll be doing a lap joint on the crossing timber pieces or will they be on top of one another. If you can provide a 3D render of the assembly that would be very much appreciated.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric, 

yes on the picture is 2 45mm beams lap joined with 2 other 45mm beams. And the cross joint is sitting on the 150x150 post with cut out 45mm sides. Does it make sense? 
I figured what I can do is remove the mounting plate from the roof extends leaving just the rode, use a 150mm concrete post anchor and put it on the threaded rode of the roof extenda with couple of nuts on both sides.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry, @Alexey, but I'm finding it a bit hard to understand the configuration in which you intend to use the bracket. Was it something like below? If so, the bracket is designed to take a single length of timber, not be a mounting point for several. Given you are using doubled 240 x 45mm timbers, it sounds like the load being held by a single roof rafter would be far over its capacity, and you'd likely need to adjust your plan.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

sorry if I’m not being clear. 

on one side the beam is sitting on the post, and on the other side on the roof extenda attached to the roof as per plan below. The roof extenda anchors are in red. Hope it makes its clear.

the main reason for double beam with space in between is not only to sit it on the post but also to install knee braces in between

Roof Extenda pergola plans.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Alexey,

It doesn't have anything to do with you not being clear; sometimes, it's just difficult to understand text-based descriptions. Those plans help immensely.

The issue is that all your load is being placed on that one bracket, and the dual beams are needed due to your spans. I've spoken to the team at Extenda Bracket, and they are keen to take a look at this for you. I've never encountered this before, but they provide a free computation service on their website. They've asked if you could fill out the form and add your plans so they can go over them and advise on the best solution.

I recommend you have them take a look, as it's important that you get this right. You might also want to check with an engineer about whether your alfresco post is of sufficient calibre to bear the weight of the additional pergola structure.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you a lot Mitchell!

will get to the extenda team and will see how we go. 

not sure what you mean by all the load being on that one bracket.

as per plan 3 brackets for one beam, and 1 bracket and 2 posts for the other beam.

Worse case scenario I can redesign pergola for single 45mm beam. The spans allow for a single 45x240 F7 beam. The only thing is that it wouldn’t look as good.

Single beam knee brace.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Just that it's supporting the corner @Alexey.

That's interesting, as you could finish the dual 45mm short of the bracket, add a block laminating them together just before the bracket and have just a single length continue onto it.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects