Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add taller privacy screening to courtyard gate?

basildill
Getting Established

How to add taller privacy screening to courtyard gate?

Hello, 

I'm hoping to add something to my front gate in order to screen everything eye-level and below from view of passersby. 

My front gate basically looks like this, except there are tall hedges growing on either side of the gate:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/peak-chain-link-fencing-1200mm-black-steel-adjustable-gate_p0446812

And it opens with a latch like this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/protectoral-woodland-grey-steel-d-latch-and-striker-pack_p0483901

I was wondering if anyone would have advice for:

* Screening materials (I was considering a screen made of reeds or bamboo, or perhaps a length of tarp)

* How to attach the screening materials to the front gate so that the screen is secure and the front gate is useable (perhaps need to some poles that attach to either side of the gate, that extend the height of the gate that a screen could be secured/attached to, but not sure about what materials to use and the method for securing - I'm not very handy!)

Hoping to find a solution that I don't need to be super handy/skilled to implement myself over a weekend, after a trip to Bunnings. 

Additionally, any ideas for outdoor privacy screens where there isn't an existing gate to attach the screen to (but perhaps some soil that could be staked into)?

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Advice for adding taller privacy screening to courtyard gate

Hi @basildill do you like something like this screen? They are available in a high range of designs in both composite (fake wood) and metal. There are several sights and a couple of different widths. A composite one could be cut down with a circular saw. to size, where as a metal one would be a more advanced cut with an angle grinder. There are also lattice style designed ones as well. Might be worth taking your gate width size to a trip to one of the larger Bunnings with a bigger range in the covered area of the garden centre.

regards, Nailbag.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice for adding taller privacy screening to courtyard gate

Hello @basildill 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Nailbag. Just to add to the suggestions made, an easy way to add height to your gate is by using Lattice Makers 1800 x 900mm Black Bamboo Half Raft Screen Panel. It can easily be attached to your existing gate using Crescent 610 x 9mm Heavy Duty Cable Ties

However, if you find that the bamboo is too heavy another product you can use is the Jack Matrix 1800 x 900 x 9mm Charcoal Orbit Décor Screen With Frame. It can be attached to your gate using the cable ties as well. this comes with a metal frame which will allow you to put it on your gate without wobbling.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
basildill
Getting Established

Re: How to add taller privacy screening to courtyard gate?

Thanks for the tips! For the bamboo screen, I saw in one of the product reviews that someone bought the bamboo screen with 'capping' - do you know if there is a separate product that can be used to kind of seal or cap off the top of the screen from rain/the elements?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add taller privacy screening to courtyard gate?

Hi @basildill 

Could it be the Lattice Makers 900 x 80mm Yellow Bamboo Screen Capping they are talking about? It's big enough to go over the bamboo screen. It also comes in a dark colour; I propose visiting your local store so that you can see what the bamboo fencing actually looks like. You'll be able to make a better judgement call on which one would suite your needs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects