Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a side gate?

Mo2
Growing in Experience

How to add a side gate?

IMG_5809.jpeg

I have side of the house close to 3 m space. The gate is 1 m wide and 2 m fixed fence.

What I want to have is a double door instead of the fixed fence. 

Could this be done as DIY project? 

If yes, any related articles/Steps please 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a side gate?

Hi @Mo2,

To get started, you'll want to measure the space carefully. Since you have 3 metres of space and currently a 1-metre wide gate, each of your double gate doors would need to be around 1.5 metres wide. You’ll also need to choose the right gate type to match the aesthetic you're going for. We stock various gate kits that could make the process easier, so it's worth checking out the options. We also have a range of prefabricated gates, but those only go up to 900mm wide.

Once you’ve selected your gate, you can carefully remove the fixed fence panels. Be sure not to damage the existing posts, as you’ll be using them to support the new gate doors. Attach heavy-duty gate hinges to the posts for both sides of the double gate, making sure they are level to avoid sagging. You’ll also want to install a drop bolt on one of the gate doors to secure it in place, while the other door can swing open. Finally, fit a latch or lock mechanism to hold both doors together when closed.

Before starting the project, it’s important to check whether the entire span of the gate and fence is within your property. If part of it sits on the neighbour's land, you’ll need to have a conversation with them and possibly get approval before making any changes. 

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to build a picket gate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects