Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you attach Retain it posts to concrete slab?

PaulaD
Growing in Experience

How do you attach Retain it posts to concrete slab?

IMG_0766.png

IMG_9873.jpeg

I am looking at using the retain it system to create stable walls using recycled sleepers. The sleepers will be lined on the inside with a conveyer belt. The walls will be fixed to a pre existing carport with concrete slab. 
How do the posts fix to the concrete slab? Is there a specific bracket to use.

The dimensions of the walls are 3.5 x 4. Can I use 1 x 3.5m / 1 x 4m sleeper or do I have to have a middle post. Hoping to have a height of between 1.2m to 1.4m.

Is there a specific bolt I should use to affix to the existing purlins.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you attach retain it system to concrete slab.

Hello @PaulaD 

Thanks for sharing your question about using Retain It posts for your stable walls. I'm currently unaware of a method that will allow you to anchor the Retain It post to a concrete slab. These types of posts are put in a post hole and concreted in place as you'll see in the Retain It installation guide.

Due to the weight they have to carry, it's critical that they are anchored very well into the ground. I propose instead of using the Retain It post, why not use standard 100 x 100mm 2.4m Fence Post Hardwood CCA. For safety reasons, I still suggest putting the post into a post hole and concreting it in place, this will prevent the wall from leaning.

The plus side of using the timber post is that you can use ordinary nuts and bolts to connect the sleepers to the post and the posts will be long enough to meet your height requirements. Due to the width of the space a middle post will be necessary for your walls.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do you attach retain it system to concrete slab.

Hi @PaulaD as @EricL has highlighted, Retain-it posts are for in-ground applications. Instead I would simply anchor the timber frames directly to the concrete slab which using AnkaScrews. You will ideally need a Pneumatic hammer drill and Impact Wrench or decent socket set. Then follow a traditional house frame for the walls with 45mm x 90mm top and bottom plates. Any additional posts required can be fixed using 90mm posts anchors. See sample images below.

Hope this helps. Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 6.29.55 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-12 at 6.28.44 AM.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How do you attach Retain it posts to concrete slab?

Morning @PaulaD 

Like @EricL and @Nailbag  I have a few hesitations about attaching them to the concrete slab. If the slab was a foot thick and had a smooth edge then maybe. Id much prefer a hole and concrete in it and a deep hole for the height you have mentioned. I would also have a lot more posts and a lot shorter spans for the distance you want. The more posts the less likely it is to lean with time. (Re reading your question I think I may have jumped to a conclusion :smile: but leaving it here just in case it helps)

Looking at your picture you could go down the track of a U channel with a welded flat end and bolt that to the slab standing next to your shed post and then drop the "sleepers" into it. I am a not sure what you will be storing inside horse/pigs/farm machinery but would factor in some more supports if it looks like the wall could be kicked. The Chanel you mention would be ok but no end to it to bolt flat on the slab.

So looking between the first two outside posts of your awning. Post + U Chanel flat bottom +sleeper +U chanel flat bottom + post. You could also go for two Chanels but lay them horizontaly and go for a pailing type deal of teh sleepers . So from concrete plus spacer then chanel lying on its back, then the vertical sleepers, then upside down chanel. You will need to attach this to posts either end (I dont like the idea of attachment to shed posts as they are already doing their job)

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects