Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i get the black spots off the grout between slate pavers?

gnicholson
Cultivating a Following

How do i get the black spots off the grout between slate pavers?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i get the black spots off the grout between slate pavers?

Hello @gnicholson 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing the black spots on your external grout. I suspect that they are deep seated mould and have started to anchor colonies on your grout. I propose using 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate, it is a quick and cost-effective exterior cleaner, used to restore those dangerous slimy green and slippery black surfaces to looking like new again. Also ideal for the treatment of mould and mildew on exterior surfaces killing the spores and minimising re-growth.

I also suggest using Oates Long Handle Grout Brush, its stiff bristles are sure to scrub off any mould or stain invading your grout. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask when using the cleaner. Make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed on the back of the bottle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do i get the black spots off the grout between slate pavers?

Do you have a pressure washer @gnicholson?

We have a crazy paved front verandah and simply use the pressure washer regularly to keep the mould at bay.

You do need to be careful though that you don't damage the stone or grout. Start gently, not too close...

Jason

gnicholson
Cultivating a Following

Re: How do i get the black spots off the grout between slate pavers?

Yep done that and also scrubbed thought someone might have another solution, this is on slate steps.

gnicholson
Cultivating a Following

Thanks will give it a go. Have pressure washed and scrubbed and still there.

Do you have any idea what the black spots are, @gnicholson? Are they some type of algae or mould, or perhaps they are oil stains?

As mentioned by @EricL, there's a good chance that they're impregnated stains in the surface and scrubbing might prove ineffective. If a solution like 30 Seconds isn't working, this might be a case of the stain being so engrained that it's not possible to remove it.

Mitchell

gnicholson
Cultivating a Following

Definitely not oil but algae or mould as on places where oil would never be, just in two spots mainly so am buying that stuff to try today. Will let you know how it goes.

gnicholson
Cultivating a Following

That didn't completely work so ended up using an angle grinder to get the bad parts off and out then filling the spaces as someone recommended before.

There is a grout saw but thought not worth spending the money for that for a small job.

Impossible to get a colour match after 16 years of weather, have done our best.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects