Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop sandstone steps chipping and cracking?

AmandaV
Growing in Experience

How to stop sandstone steps chipping and cracking?

I had some sandstone steps installed about 4 months ago from my laundry area down to the washing line. The steps are not a high-traffic area, and yet in the few months we've had them, they have started chipping and crumbling in places, and every single one has a crack running through them. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed with the quality of the work done by the stone mason, who came highly recommended. He sourced the sandstone for me. (Note to self: always buy materials in person).

The whole exercise wasn't cheap! So what do I do? At this rate, the steps won't last a year, and I have no recourse against the stone mason. And given his sloppy work, I don't really want to ask him for his advice. Can I seal or coat them with anything that will prevent further deterioration? Should I 'plaster' them with cement? And yes, I will be doing it myself - I can't afford to get another company in to deal with it.

Thanks very much in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sandstone steps chipping and cracking

Hi @AmandaV,

Could you post some images of the damage so our members have a better idea of what you're dealing with? Let me know if you need help uploading images.

I would encourage you to notify the stone mason of the damage and see if there is anything they can do. Stone blocks typically don't spontaneously start cracking, and the foundation they were laid on might have subsided. To resolve the issue it could require the steps to be lifted and the area beneath compacted.

I would presume this is more of a foundation and structural issue, and if so, sealing them won't prevent them from continuing to crack. Sealers prevent staining in the stone, but that's really the extent of their effectiveness. You could try skim-coating them with cement, but since this will be a thin and non-reinforced coating, it's likely to crack also.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AmandaV
Growing in Experience

Re: Sandstone steps chipping and cracking

Apologies for the late reply - we have been having discussions with our stone mason. He inspected the sandstone and agreed that the cracks were not acceptable, and he is replacing two steps and repairing the others.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects