Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i attach a tarp under the gutter on to the facia board?

mervynma
Just Starting Out

How do i attach a tarp under the gutter on to the facia board?

how do i attach a tarp under the gutter on to the facia board

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i attach a tarp under the gutter on to the facia board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mervynma. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about attaching a tarp.

Could you please share more details about what you will be using the tarp for? That way, our members would be in a better position to provide informed responses.

It's important to note that the fascia board is not a structural element, so you can't attach a tarp directly to it. If the wind catches the tarp, it could pull off the fascia board. To ensure a secure attachment, you must create fixing points into the structural timber behind the fascia. This means any fixture will need to go through the fascia board and into the roof frame or other structural timber behind it. 

Another point of concern is that even shade sails put enormous forces on their mounting points and they allow air through them. If you are using the tarp for shade and it could catch wind, you are essentially creating a sail, and you'd need to confirm that it is attached adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects