Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ozito mitre saw blade guard - options? - dodgy ply?

buildasoph
Just Starting Out

Ozito mitre saw blade guard - options? - dodgy ply?

Hi there, 

Just looking for advice, basically the other day I was slowly cutting some lengths of bunnings 7MM birchwood ply when all of a sudden the guard exploded into pieces, upon inspection it looks like there was a metal foreign object that looked like there was some sorta string near it in the ply, ruined my good blade too as it slightly warped now. Is is possible to get another guard? The mitre saw is only 3 months old. I'm guessing bunnings won't accept the claim if I were to ask for a replacement?  Was just not expecting this to happen. 

20240608_101056.jpg20240608_101058.jpg20240608_101211c.jpg20240608_101211.jpg20240608_101050c.jpg20240608_101050.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ozito mitre saw blade guard - options? - dodgy ply?

Hello @buildasoph 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Ozito drop saw. 

I'm sorry to hear your drop saw got damaged. Would it be possible for you to please provide me with the exact model number of your drop saw. I can then track down the proper spare part for your machine. Once I find the spare part, you can go to your local store and order it from the special orders desk.

Please note that we are heading into the weekend, and I'll not be able to get an answer from Ozito until late Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. Thank you for your patience. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @buildasoph,

That doesn't look that great at all.

What sort of cut were you making at the time that this happened?

From what I can tell, the plywood section being cut has kicked up into the saw guard (I could be way wrong here too).

I don't want to come across as "that guy" but it seems like there wasn't enough downward clamping of the workpiece during the cut, to hold this in place.

Again, I am not trying to lay blame with you, it just seems very strange how this could happen.

I've used a slide compound saw for decades and I've never seen this happen before.

It could be the way the plywood was glued together too, I have seen lumps of glue bind up a saw blade enough to cause kick-back.

Just some thoughts,

Cheers,

Mike T.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @buildasoph,

I'll reach our via private message for some details and put you in touch with team at your local Bunnings. They'll be able to assess the machine for you and can discuss options surrounding replacement of the saw and blade.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. 

At the time of cutting I did have the screw clamps in use, as well as 3 additional hand spring clamps to keep the piece held down on all 4+ points. The photos were taken after I had removed the piece and collected all the broken guards bits from the area as I was trying to work out what the cause was as it was so sudden/loud, at first I thought the blade had exploded. 

on the day I had cut about 25-30 pieces of 3mm and 7mm ply with no issues, happened to be the last 7mm piece of the day.

I was using the track cutting motion, not dropping the saw down -  if that helps. 
and due to the nature of the blade I tend to go quite slowly. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects