Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install an area of pea gravel over sand?

JamesP
Finding My Feet

How do I install an area of pea gravel over sand?

Hello, I'm looking to install pea gravel in this sandy area in the photo beloow outlined in red.

1000022648.jpgContext: we're in the Perth hills and the rest of the garden is pea gravel and coffee rock but the previous owner dug this area up, plonked down sand and tried to grow a lawn which failed. I'd like to replace/cover the sand with pea gravel.

Questions:

1. Do I need to add a base of gravel or limestone grit to prevent the pea gravel sinking into the sand?

2. Should I also consider weed matting? 

3. What depth of pea gravel/base do you recommend? This will determine how much sand to shift 

4. Should I try to remove all the sand or is this not necessary? I don't know how deep it goes 

4. Anything else to consider? 

Thank you in advance 🙏

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I install an area of pea gravel over sand?

Hello @JamesP 

That's an interesting question, I suggest removing the sand if it does not interfere with its current level with the surrounding soil. But if the sand is needed to keep it level, then you can proceed to use weedmat. I suggest a level of 30mm so that when it settles and spreads out you should not be able to see the weedmat. To prevent the weedmat from moving I suggest using Lotus Collection 14cm Weedmat Pin. One other thing you can try is to use a tamper on the sand to compact it.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects