Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I extend height of fence?

j1111
Getting Established

How do I extend height of fence?

IMG_0740.jpg

Hi,

I need to add something to this to make it at least 1.8m and non climbable as it will be in a pool area.

I was thinking some kind of panels but not sure how I could attach to make it look seamless.

Alternatively i could do some 1.8m pine palings but not sure how I could attach as there isnt really an existing rail thick enough.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Jon

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I add to this fence

Hello @j1111 

Your current fence layout is not pool compliant because of the way the timber slats have been laid out. However, it appears that you have very large timber fencing posts. I propose installing 72 x 47mm 5.4m Fence Rail H3 Treated Pine Premium Grade CCA in combination with 150 x 12mm 1.8m Fence Paling H3 Treated Pine CCA in a classic overlapping pattern.

The reason for doing an overlapping pattern is to make sure that there is no opportunity for children to access the horizontal timber slats on the other side. I also suggest putting a timber cap over your fence to protect the top of the palings. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: how do I add to this fence

Good Evening @j1111 

I agree with @EricL's recomendation to make the fence compliant. I am a little unsure on how solid the posts are as the timber posts look a little aged. If there is any wobble to them at all I would be installing new posts? 

I really like the overlap of the palings. No way hands or feet can get into the bits between that way.

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I extend height of fence?

Hi @j1111 

My advice would be to reach out to a pool compliance expert to look at the entire pool fence perimeter to advise on current requirements. Just in this photo alone there is more to just the fence that wouldn't comply such as the overhanging tree branches and the return fence structure. Pool fence compliances vary from state to state and have been a moving target for the past decade or more with changes occurring constantly. 18mths ago I had a brand new pool gate fail the test because the hinges didn't have domes caps on them. These were not available at the time and were not even legislated as being required. But the inspector had the final say. I managed to get sample cones within the 24hr deadline to avoid a $150 re-inspection fee.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects