Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to cover the side of a deck that can't be seen?

aajay
Just Starting Out

Do I need to cover the side of a deck that can't be seen?

I am building a deck in my backyard and it will be approx 30cm high. Two sides of the deck are close to the fence. There will be a gap of 100mm between the fence and the deck. Do I need to cover it the sides of the deck or I can leave it open as it’s facing the fence. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: decking

Hello @aajay 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your decking project.

Leaving the sides of your deck uncovered is definitely possible. But having that extra panel in front of the decking frame means that there will be an extra layer of protection at the front. 

However, I am more concerned about the distance of your deck from your fence. I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council regarding the installation of a low-level deck near your fence. Although the deck is technically less than 1 meter, it's best to check the regulations just to be safe.

If you have any other questions we can help with, lease let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects