Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

Codey
Growing in Experience

DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

This is a firepit I made from scratch on a sloping block.

Materials

Render 

Cobble stones

Sealer

Concrete

Mortar

Reinforcing mesh/rod

Paint

Sand

Black plastic

Render trim

Treated pine sleepers

Ag pipe

Tools

ozito angle grinder.jpgfloat.pngmallet.pngtrowel.pngwheel burrow.pnggrinder.png

Steps

Step 1

The back yard was incredibly overgrown, so a fair but of clearing was needed before I could start building.  

_2.jpg

Once cleared, I started cutting into the slope and levelling out the ground. The back of the firepit seat will also act as a retaining wall. I then used a whacker Packer so I could start with a firm surface.

_4.jpg_5.jpg

I then dug out the trenches which would be filled with concrete for the footings.

_6.jpg

Step 2

Once the bricks were laid I prepared the top slab with reinforcing mesh and the rods were drilled into the brickwork to prevent sinking.

_7.jpg

Once the slab was set. I then finished the back rest and started rendering.

_8.jpg_9.jpg

Step 3

I didn't want to risk paint dripping on the new pavers, so I decided to paint the rendered brick first, before starting laying the pavers

_13.jpg

I placed down black plastic before a layer of paving sand. Then I started laying the cobblestones. The paving is laid on a gentle angle to allow water run off.

_10.jpg

After filling the gaps with sand and cement, I sealed the pavers with two coats of sealer.

_12.jpg

Step 4

Finally, I inserted the metal fire pit bowl, put down the top soil around the edges, and sprinkled some grass seed to help the lawn grow.

I also added a heap of plants around the outside which should look great when they are established.

_14.jpg

Step 5

_before and after 1 copy.jpg

Codey
Growing in Experience

Re: DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

Thankyou mate!

Codey
Growing in Experience

Re: DIY Firepit

Hahaha, thanks very much for the feedback!

cheers,

Codey

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Wow that really is a masterpiece of concreting workmanship and a hell of modern design. Well done.

Regards, Nailbag

Codey
Growing in Experience

Hahaha thank you!

Codey
Growing in Experience

Re: DIY Firepit

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects