Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

Codey
Growing in Experience

DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

This is a firepit I made from scratch on a sloping block.

Materials

Render 

Cobble stones

Sealer

Concrete

Mortar

Reinforcing mesh/rod

Paint

Sand

Black plastic

Render trim

Treated pine sleepers

Ag pipe

Tools

ozito angle grinder.jpgfloat.pngmallet.pngtrowel.pngwheel burrow.pnggrinder.png

Steps

Step 1

The back yard was incredibly overgrown, so a fair but of clearing was needed before I could start building.  

_2.jpg

Once cleared, I started cutting into the slope and levelling out the ground. The back of the firepit seat will also act as a retaining wall. I then used a whacker Packer so I could start with a firm surface.

_4.jpg_5.jpg

I then dug out the trenches which would be filled with concrete for the footings.

_6.jpg

Step 2

Once the bricks were laid I prepared the top slab with reinforcing mesh and the rods were drilled into the brickwork to prevent sinking.

_7.jpg

Once the slab was set. I then finished the back rest and started rendering.

_8.jpg_9.jpg

Step 3

I didn't want to risk paint dripping on the new pavers, so I decided to paint the rendered brick first, before starting laying the pavers

_13.jpg

I placed down black plastic before a layer of paving sand. Then I started laying the cobblestones. The paving is laid on a gentle angle to allow water run off.

_10.jpg

After filling the gaps with sand and cement, I sealed the pavers with two coats of sealer.

_12.jpg

Step 4

Finally, I inserted the metal fire pit bowl, put down the top soil around the edges, and sprinkled some grass seed to help the lawn grow.

I also added a heap of plants around the outside which should look great when they are established.

_14.jpg

Step 5

_before and after 1 copy.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

Afternoon @Codey 

:laugh: Why do we always end up with projects that have finish dates that are fixed! :smile: 

Well done on getting it done in time!

Dave

Matkai
Getting Established

Re: DIY Firepit

@Codey 

Amazing work, can  you give a bit more information on how you constructed the backrest?  Was this just timber framing?  thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Matkai 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

Let me tag @Codey to make them aware of your question. I suspect that formwork was used to create such a fancy looking backrest, but it's possible that Codey is that talented with a trowel. Let's wait for their confirmation on how they built the back rest.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Codey
Growing in Experience

@Matkai 

Hey mate,

Thanks for asking, here's some more images which show more about the backrest construction.

20240429_145952.jpg20240519_163847.jpg

I started by building the back wall in line with the rest of the seat. Then I drilled holes for the reinforcing bar for added support.

To create the sloped part of the backrest, I first started with a run of angle cut bricks, then each subsequent brick was simply laid on top, with the void being filled with concrete. To maintain the correct angle, I created a template out of corflute which could be periodically referenced throughout the process.

20240529_131429.jpg

The final curve shape was made with an angle grinder, refined through the rendering process.

I hope this helps 👍

Happy building,

Codey

Codey
Growing in Experience

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the prompt. I've just responded to the backrest question from @Matkai.

I hope the images clarify the process.

Codey

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Codey 

Thanks for that extra information about your back rest construction. It is amazing and very cleverly built!

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Matkai
Getting Established

Thank you, you are clearly very talented.. 

Amazing Workd

Codey
Growing in Experience

Happy to help!

TheRenoDad
Having an Impact

Re: DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

This looks unreal Codey! Well done!! 

Post may contain sponsored content
Nishan1
Growing in Experience

Now that's how it's done! 

Stunning! 

When do tickets go on sale?....LOL

Nishan 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects