Workshop
Ask a question

DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

Codey
Growing in Experience

DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

This is a firepit I made from scratch on a sloping block.

Materials

Render 

Cobble stones

Sealer

Concrete

Mortar

Reinforcing mesh/rod

Paint

Sand

Black plastic

Render trim

Treated pine sleepers

Ag pipe

Tools

ozito angle grinder.jpgfloat.pngmallet.pngtrowel.pngwheel burrow.pnggrinder.png

Steps

Step 1

The back yard was incredibly overgrown, so a fair but of clearing was needed before I could start building.  

_2.jpg

Once cleared, I started cutting into the slope and levelling out the ground. The back of the firepit seat will also act as a retaining wall. I then used a whacker Packer so I could start with a firm surface.

_4.jpg_5.jpg

I then dug out the trenches which would be filled with concrete for the footings.

_6.jpg

Step 2

Once the bricks were laid I prepared the top slab with reinforcing mesh and the rods were drilled into the brickwork to prevent sinking.

_7.jpg

Once the slab was set. I then finished the back rest and started rendering.

_8.jpg_9.jpg

Step 3

I didn't want to risk paint dripping on the new pavers, so I decided to paint the rendered brick first, before starting laying the pavers

_13.jpg

I placed down black plastic before a layer of paving sand. Then I started laying the cobblestones. The paving is laid on a gentle angle to allow water run off.

_10.jpg

After filling the gaps with sand and cement, I sealed the pavers with two coats of sealer.

_12.jpg

Step 4

Finally, I inserted the metal fire pit bowl, put down the top soil around the edges, and sprinkled some grass seed to help the lawn grow.

I also added a heap of plants around the outside which should look great when they are established.

_14.jpg

Step 5

_before and after 1 copy.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Firepit

Hello @Codey 

Thank you for sharing the materials list and steps you've taken to build your firepit/entertainment area.

This firepit area with a curved concrete seat is a stunning addition to the garden! The circular design creates a cozy and intimate atmosphere, perfect for gatherings and relaxation. The choice of materials, with the textured stonework for the firepit area and the smooth, modern concrete seating, provides a beautiful contrast that adds visual interest. The curved bench not only complements the circular layout but also offers ample seating for friends and family, making it a functional and inviting space. 

The surrounding greenery further enhances the natural beauty of the setting, creating a harmonious blend between the garden and this elegant outdoor feature. Overall, it's a masterful design that combines aesthetics with practicality, offering a serene and stylish spot to enjoy the outdoors.

Many thanks for sharing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Codey
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtful feedback! I'm thrilled to hear that you appreciate the design and materials. Your detailed observations truly mean a lot. 

Happy building!

Codey

Codey
Growing in Experience

Movie night!Movie night!

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

@Codey this looks fantastic! 

I have been wanting to do something similar on my sloped block so really appreciate the detailed instructions. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Yes, It can be tricky landscaping on sloped yards but this method works well. 

Happy building!

Hi @Codey 

LOVE a good firepit! This is incredible, you should be super proud of your hard work. 

Tinker_Bell

Codey
Growing in Experience

Thanks very much! I'm glad you like it!

Codey

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

Afternoon @Codey 

Now that is a solid job. Love the double use of the retaining wall plus a firepit area together :smile: I cant see it ever developing any cracks as you have really constructed it well! The only question I have is should the viewer sit there and look at the view with a warm fire or watch a movie :laugh:

Love your use of the space, and the slope for the drainage is a wise move.

Dave

Codey
Growing in Experience

Re: DIY paved firepit area with built-in seating

Thanks mate,

I got it done just in time for my birthday, so we had friends and family all gathered around the fire. It turned out to be a great functional space.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Codey

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects