Workshop
Ask a question

How to lay a concrete slab over a gas pipe?

nila
Getting Established

How to lay a concrete slab over a gas pipe?

Hi I'm wanting to lay a concrete slab in my front yard, but it would cover a gas pipe with the meter coming out towards the end of the concrete. 
Do you know what steps would be required? Such as depth of the pipe under the concrete, and any protection for the pipe to protect it against movement of the slab and any corrosion.

Anything else I should think about? Will be contacting a plumber, but it would be good to have an idea of what's involved first.

Thanks  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Concrete slab and Gas Pipe

Hi @nila,

You'll need to begin by contacting your local gas provider or utility company to inform them about the proposed work. They can offer guidance and may conduct a site inspection to evaluate the situation. Next, engage a licensed gas plumber to inspect the gas line, ensuring it is adequately protected and determining if any relocation or modification is necessary. Additionally, a structural engineer should be consulted to assess the impact of the new slab on existing infrastructure and to design a solution that maintains safety and structural integrity. 

Before proceeding, check with your local council to determine if you need a permit for the work, as regulations can vary by area. Work with your structural engineer and gas plumber to create a detailed plan for the slab installation, incorporating any required modifications to the gas line or additional safety measures. Once the planning is complete, hire a licensed builder or contractor to carry out the installation according to the approved plans. 

Finally, arrange for a final inspection by your local council or building authority to ensure the work complies with all relevant standards. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects