Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Davco render over a pizza oven?

becxy05
Growing in Experience

Can you use Davco render over a pizza oven?

We have an existing pizza oven, it already has a peach plaster over the top. We have rendered the pizza oven base with Davco off white render and actually really like the colour. Originally we were going to paint over the top of the render so the oven matched the base. We are now wondering if we can render over the top of the oven using the Davco render to change the colour of the oven but not have to paint everything. I know the render isn’t heat resistant but I’m worried the heat resistant render will be a different colour. Can we just render using the Davco render? Thank you! 

Re: rendering over a pizza oven

Looks amazing. We have the same pizza oven which is looking a bit grubby. Can I please ask what paint you used? And has it stood up to use? Did you need to do any special prep before painting the dome and around the door?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Hamish121212 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

Let me tag @becxy05 to make them aware of your kind words and questions. It would be interesting to find out how the paint has stood up to the heat and exposure to the weather.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
becxy05
Growing in Experience

Sorry Hamish,

I can’t remember exactly what the paint was called but if you go into Bunnings they will give it to you. I believe there was only black. It is doing really well and has held up amazingly. Still looks the same as when we painted it. I’ll send through an image tomorrow 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @becxy05,

It sounds like it might have been something like the White Knight 300g High Temp Spray Paint you used on the metal section. However, @Hamish121212 might be enquiring about what you used and how it was applied to the dome.

Did you end up going for a render-type product?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
becxy05
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

I think I said in the previous posts that we just colour matched the render on the base with normal outside paint. The dome doesn’t get hot when it’s being used so they advised that it shouldn’t matter, and it hasn’t. 👍🏻

becxy05
Growing in Experience

IMG_0756.jpegI think we may have roughed up the metal and may have scratched off any peeling paint but only cause it was peeling already. We just painted the dome- as it was already rendered it didn’t need anything else and would be too difficult to sand back. We also didn’t want to mess about with it too much. Hope that helps- we love it now! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects