Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add balcony privacy screening?

pangcelene
Community Newcomer

How to add balcony privacy screening?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello, I want to put a screen on my open balcony, but we have had a bit of waterproofing issues so I don’t want to fasten the bottom of the posts to the balcony floor. Is it feasible to fasten the posts to the balcony balustrade instead? If so, is there any advice on how to do so? I would be interested in permanent fixtures as well as temporary or portable ones.

I would like to use the Jack Screen Up posts, and the Jack Matrix screen panels.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time out to give some advice!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add balcony privacy screening?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pangcelene. We're pleased to have you join us. 

My apologies that it might be a while before one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts can share their thoughts, so let me tag some other knowledgable and experienced members to see what they would do: @Nailbag@TedBear and @Adam_W.

You might also like to explain in a little more detail about the waterproofing issues you have had and what is below those tiles we can see. 

Personally, I would doubt that you can use the existing balcony balustrade as it is not intended to carry additional force/weight. If large panels were to be picked up by the wind they could be a significant safety hazard so robust footings will be essential. I would also recommend contacting your council to make sure they don't have any rules and regulations that you need to comply with regarding installing screening at height. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to add balcony privacy screening?

Hi @pangcelene  I agree with @Jason on this situation, as you have described it so far. It would be highly risky to use the balustrade anchor points for something beyond what they were designed for. It would be better to solve the waterproofing issues so that your can anchor the posts to the floor. The screen bottoms would, I assume, have some clearance above the floor to allow water to escape under them. Will you be adding at least one screen to go around the corner to stabilise the installation against wind? The idea looks great. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects