Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can these rusted metal pergola beams be saved?

JoB166
Just Starting Out

Can these rusted metal pergola beams be saved?

74190132-D7C0-45BE-8D20-2C798384F462.jpeg

DD255446-9C90-4EFE-89C1-16DE1F1B276C.jpeg

CC6A570A-E2D1-4CBC-9EAA-A323E743A225.jpeg

5223E046-30E9-4358-BEE9-32C07EF71A11.jpeg

CD5433CA-A6CD-4F43-9033-21BD4BDC2D2F.jpeg

     

Hi, I have a pergola in the back garden of my house which needs some work. The C Beams (I think they are called this, the beams that hold the weight) are metal and are quite rusted. I was hoping I could grind them back get get rid of some of the rust and then repaint. 

is there anything you would suggest? Or do they need to be replaced? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can these rusted metal pergola beams be saved?

Hello @JoB166 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your pergola beams.

I suggest doing a thorough investigation of the beams using sandpaper and a small hammer. By tapping a heavy rust spot, it either gives way or the rust falls of. If the rust falls off sand the spot very well until you see the steel underneath. This means that the rust has not eaten through the beam, and it can be repainted and saved. But if after sanding the spot and it goes right through then the damage is too severe and that beam must be replaced.  

However, looking at the second to last photo, this beam has clearly deteriorated badly and must be replaced. For the beams that can be saved, I suggest using the White Knight Rust Guard System to repaint the entire beam.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects