Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any ideas for shading a balcony?

Lukas
Just Starting Out

Any ideas for shading a balcony?

My balcony is looking towards the sunset, so some extra shade would help quite a bit during the afternoon. I am trying to explore my options. Renting, so looking for some pop-up solution that avoids any drilling or permanent attachment. A regular umbrella would be easiset but I dislike the size and shape of them and I'd no good way of storing one anyway. The balcony is about 3 meters wide - so thinking a sunsail might be a good solution. I am on the 11th floor and it can get quite windy so would need something I can take down and put up easily.
Now does anyone have any thoughts of attaching a sunsail without attaching it to the building - to a couple of free-standing leg/poles maybe? I wasn't really able to find any good solutions for balconies. Or maybe an entirely different way of adding shade.

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Any ideas for shading a balcony?

Hey @Lukas , welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you here.

Do you have any images of your space so we know the kind of area we are working with? We can give you some better suggestions if we can see it. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Extra shade on the balcony

Hello @Lukas

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about getting extra shade for your balcony.

Since you are in a rental property, I can understand your request for a non-invasive installation. I suggest considering building a timber frame out of 70 x 35mm L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine. The frame has to be built snugly to the size of the balcony so that it will not move even in strong winds. The shade sail can then be put on and taken off if there is an indication of a storm.

However, before you get started, it's important to notify the body corporate of your intentions before you build the structure. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how you can build it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects