Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

zachorazor
Getting Established

Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

Hi.

I'm constructing a full-sized Iron Man Alcove. Yes, really. And I am using 3d-look and other metallic vinyl wraps for effects.

To stick, these need a smooth surface, such as laminated panels used in kit furniture products. The issue is, I need a solid piece of wood for the back of the alcove and the kit I'm looking at buying from Bunnings, only has the flimsy 3mm ply. So I'm looking at buying a 2400mm x 1200mm x 17mm piece of Formrite-Formply, from you for the back. But, as this piece has the most important vinyl wrap decal, I need to know if there will be issues with the adhesive clinging well to such a surface.

Do you know?

Thanks.

Zach

Re: Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

Thanks. Yeah. I'll have to find an inexpensive way to give it a try.

Bunnings don't sell 2400 x 1200 melamine covered sheets over 1.5mm thick do they, as that would be exactly what I'm after? I couldn't find anything that big, but worth asking here, I guess.

zachorazor
Getting Established

Re: Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface

It would be a lot more work than I'm willing to put in to prep plywood to be able to take this surfacing. The manufactures all say it doesn't work on plywood, so I'd basically be converting it to another surface, and I'd really rather be able to find a surface, if possible. But if it's not, it's a thought I've looked into, but looks beyond my time for purpose. Cheers though. The effort of trying to help here, from you and others is deeply appreciated.

We have melamine panels that are 16mm thick @zachorazor, such as the 16 x 2400 x 1200mm White Matt Carcass Particleboard MR.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh. Wow. I couldn't find them when I searched. That sounds pretty darn perfect, if I can find a store that will cut one down to 2000 x 900.

I should have no trouble sticking to that. It's a smooth surface, yes?

The 'carcass' is a bit Halloweeny though. Should I be worried, in the night? :smile:

That's so brilliant. Thank you!

Will the Matt finish cause me problems, or will it be just as good as when most cabinets need to be covered with this stuff, do you think?

Cheers,

Yikes, see review pic. Probably just a bad batch or got wet in transit. But are there any other 1200 x 2400 Melamine sheets with over 10mm widths, or with laminate/melamine along even one long side? I need to be able to screw fairly close to the edge and at that weight I'll need the wood to take the screws.

I really appreciate your help. I'll definitely share pics when it's all done.

Review of Melamine sheet.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zachorazor 

Yes, the surface is smooth, and I don't think the matt finish will be an issue. Just remember to clean the surface and make sure that it is free of oil and grease. One of the main reasons for the edge of the melamine to get ruined is if it was exposed to water or hit with extreme force. Quite often the edge is nice and straight, but if you're worried about structural strength, I suggest using timber support on the corners. If done properly you can keep the support visually hidden. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects