Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

zachorazor
Community Newcomer

Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface?

Hi.

I'm constructing a full-sized Iron Man Alcove. Yes, really. And I am using 3d-look and other metallic vinyl wraps for effects.

To stick, these need a smooth surface, such as laminated panels used in kit furniture products. The issue is, I need a solid piece of wood for the back of the alcove and the kit I'm looking at buying from Bunnings, only has the flimsy 3mm ply. So I'm looking at buying a 2400mm x 1200mm x 17mm piece of Formrite-Formply, from you for the back. But, as this piece has the most important vinyl wrap decal, I need to know if there will be issues with the adhesive clinging well to such a surface.

Do you know?

Thanks.

Zach

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Will self-adhesive vinyl wrap stick well to Formrite Formply's surface

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zachorazor. It's marvelous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about vinyl wrap.

Without having actually performed the test with your types of vinyl and formply, then I don't think anyone is going to be able to be 100% confident in their answer. However, I'm confident that vinyl or self-adhesive film would stick well to formply. You might want to wipe it down with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and warm water to remove any residue on it and then ensure it is entirely dry before you apply your film. 

It's always best to do a test section if possible, to determine it's suitability.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects